X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer tables out of alignment

The infeed and outfeed tables on my Rigid JP0610 are out of alignment. When the outfeed table is square to the fence, the infeed table tilts slightly away from it--enough to see light with a high precision combination square.

How do I fix?

BTW: Though I haven't used it much, I bought the jointer 3 or 4 years ago, so it's probably out of warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Jointer tables out of alignment

first I would is see if there is any type of contamination that is in the gib, mating line of the dovetail slide and see if it could be holding/spacing something up on one table or the other, and see that the gib screws were properly tightened and adjusted correctly,

If that checks out, the next lest invasive way is to use a shim,
    I would probably work on the back table, as it is moved the least, and loosen the gib screws and then see if I could get piece of shim stock of the correct thousands of thickness on the flat of the dovetail and place it back in there, and they make long feeler thickness gages.

the third is to hand scrap the high gib area, (this is not a DIY project) as one actually files with a special scraper the high areas off the machine.(one would probably have to find a true machine tool restoring place to get this done.

the other thing is one should check is the fence twisted? (metal can warp as well, jsut the temperature of when it was milled and room temps can twist castings and shaped steel,

If that is the case one should be able to get a machine shop to regrind it,

that may be an option on the bed as well, with beds and base assembled and knives and fence removed, (but would probably cost more than the tool is worth),

and finally if it is only a few thousands, I probably would not worry about it,
    Wood is not that stable any way, you could square it up one day and a few points of humidity will probably change the shape any way depending on grain pattern, a few thousands in shape or twist or squareness.

a thousand of a inch with light behind it can look like a lot,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

you may need a true machinist straight edge for this but turn the knives so they are not in the way and put a quality true straight edge over the two table from front to back and check each side and middle and see if one can detect any out of flat or squareness, do a cross check as well corner to corner, and see if there is a defect that way on the tables,

If you do not have a quality straight edge, you may want to take it to a automotive machine shop and have them check it for flatness with one they would use for checking engine block and head warpage,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for your very detailed and helpful response. I do seem to have a variety of small alignment problems. Especially helpful was the suggestion that a couple of thousandths don't matter.

Comment

Working...
        X