X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Belt on New Jointer

I have a new link belt that I purchased for another application that was never completed. As I assemble my new jointer, is there any reason I shouldn't use the link belt instead of the V-belt furnished with the jointer? My understanding is that the link belt will provide longer, quieter, and more dependable service that the conventional v-belt. Is this correct?

Re: Link Belt on New Jointer

Personally, I think the link belt is about the best v-belt to come along! I had one on my old Rockwell table saw. Loved it! I sold the saw and kept the belt! LOL I would use it, but make sure you are using STEEL pulleys, link belts will eat up aluminum ones.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Link belts tend to be better than stock belts in general. If the v-belt has a set or a zig of some sort, which is fairly common, the belt will thump and vibrate. A link belt will remedy that. If your stock belt is perfect, the stock belt will actually make less wind noise than the link belt because it's more aerodynamic. If I had an extra link belt I'd probably use it, but it might not be necessary.

Comment

The link belt may well make your jointer run a little smoother or you may not see any change. One thing is pretty much for certain, a link belt won't make your jointer run worse. I installed one on my drill press and it improved it's operation significantly.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
        X