Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spalting wood

Hello,

I've read several different articles talking about how to spalt wood, and I'd like to actually try some of the techniques, but I'm not sure about one thing -- kiln drying wood will stop the spalting process, but is it possible to spalt previously kiln dried wood by wetting it again?

In other words, can I take kiln dried wood from the local retailer, and apply the same spalting techniques on it? Or is it a case of, once dried, it can never spalt, even if re-wet?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Spalting wood

Although this article doesn't really answer your specific question, you might find it interesting.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would expect that the kiln drying process to kill the fungi, so re-wetting would not cause spalting.

Comment

Throw a board on the ground, cover it with damp leaves and keep moistened. Check on it once a week (may take months). You'll need to wait on warm weather (does it get warm up there? :-)
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

It may spalt with store bought lumber placed on the ground but I think it will twist cup and just become useless. When done in log form, it is then cut into planks that can be dried normally and then be used. Just my thoughts. Red
          Red

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Although this article doesn't really answer your specific question, you might find it interesting.
            That is an excellent article that does answer the question.

And yes Ken, we do get some warm weather. I can hardly wait for the fresh tomatoes from my garden, and the hardy hibiscus blooms are as big as diner plates.

Comment

Working...
            X