No announcement yet.

What do you use for dust collection??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you use for dust collection??

14 months ago, I bought a new Jet TS and Jet dust collector. It has the "dust dog" pleated filter canister on top. It's awesome!!! I use it on my TS and my 26" drum sander. The canister does a great job even on the sanding dust. When it gets slow, just turn it off and spin the handles on top. They are attached to hard plastic flappers on the inside of the canister and spin around knocking each pleat and clean all the fine dust out. Piece-o-cake!
    It's a little pricey at $479 but well worth the money. When I"m doing belt sanding and the shop gets cloudy, I open both ports and turn it on. Clears the room in no time.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I have no experience whatsoever with dust collection, I've been using my shop vac. But I'm tired of constantly moving the hose around to each tool, and snortin' dust has lost its thrill, so I'm looking at dust collectors. Comparing price and specs, the Harbor Freight unit seems to be a decent value. It comes with 30 micron filter bags, which probably isn't fine enough; somewhere around 1 micron would be better. So I'm thinking no big deal, just buy 1 micron bags...but then I see this HB conversion kit.

Question: Are variable micron filtration bags available to use on these dust collection units, or is the unit limited to filter what they're advertised for and that's it? This is a general question, not just specifically for the HB unit.

- djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutbuff View Post
        I am one of the many WoodNet forum guys who bought the (in)famous HF 2HP DC about 10 months back during the Great Dust Collector Saga that lasted about 3 months.

David
        Guys,

I am soooooo sorry to raise this dead horse again, but I have been earnestly shopping for a DC unit and have settled on the Jet DC 1100 or the HF 2 HP unit (because of the price). While I have no compunction about the Jet, The extra HP and CFM is making me lean towards the HF unit, but the descriptor "infamous" is making me wary........

Any more advice on this unit? Should I just go with the Jet because it's a proven unit? I only ask because many of you know this is a significant investment and I have only one shot to get it right. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Zeno
        “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

i say any thing from HF should not be used very hard . if you use it a lot it may not hold up .i got some things there and the power stuff lacks the quality of a well name brand .
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thanks Hawk.....that's what I thought. The Jet it is!
            “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Zeno, I got the Jet from Woodcraft when they had a sale on it. It was a bit pricey in comparison, but the pleated dust filter can on top makes a HUGE difference. Like WoodMeister said, it's easy to clean and incredibly good at the sanding dust. Makes a world of difference. The unit's just a dust-cleaning beast! It's a tad on the noisy side, but there's no high-pitched whine to it which is nice. In comparison to the shop-vac it's downright quiet.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                i say any thing from HF should not be used very hard . if you use it a lot it may not hold up .i got some things there and the power stuff lacks the quality of a well name brand .
                While I agree with you when it comes to most of the HF power tools I have to disagree as far as their 2HP dust collector is concerned.. It really is a very reliable tool. I've had mine since 2003 and haven't had so much as a whimper out it. You do need to upgrade the stock OEM bags but once thats done it's as good as other units in its class. Even at todays sale price of $169 you can still, with a 10% off coupon, buy the DC and buy upgraded bags for under $200.
                ================================================== ====
                All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

thats good to hear that .some one has to be the first to try it and it good to hear that some one has it .
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The Jet looks pricey but remember it comes with the pleated canister filter AND the remote control included, (providing you buy the remote version).

All in all, Jet has a great track record and the DC does a great job on the microscopic crap that covers everything. The big pieces are easy to get, it's the fine stuff that's the PITA!

Mark
                    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

i use a push broom and a snow shovel. it my not be high tech but it works for me
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

These DC threads always get long, don't they!? ANyway, I have had the HF unit for 3 years and have it plumbed through the wall separating the garage and the shop. With that set up I don't worry much about the crappy bags. As far as the drawing power it's pretty good when using one machine but I can tell immediately if I have left a second gate open. I too use a remote start. I started with a wall switch in the shop connected to the DC outlet but it was a chore to get to - poor placement and there are walls and insulation up now so changing would be difficult. The HF unit itself has had a loud whirring sound for about a year now and I suspect a motor bearing going out and that is with pretty light use. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
                        Later,
                        Chiz
                        https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

I have had the HF DC for a couple of years. Still using the 30 micron bag which needs upgrading. I am considering the Wynn Cannister conversion which is cheaper than the HF conversion kit. More info on the HF model here:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...C%20Thread.htm
                          Start off slow then taper off.

Comment

I have a Delta 1-1/2 Hp hooked up to a separator that works very well. Right now I have to move it around the shop from machine to machine which is a real pain. I just bought hose, fittings and blast gates to make a manifold to permanently hook up my stationary jointer, planer, bandsaw and radial arm and still have two two extra ports to hook up to my table saw and other equipment when I roll them out for use. The plan is to have the DC out of the way in a in a corner with a 4" hose run to the manifold. I ran conduit for an outlet at the DC location a toggle switch for the DC beside the manifold.

Comment

Damn....Fish or cut bait, Fish or cut bait.......Jet or HF, Jet or HF.

One more thing. I had a wild thought that I might use PVC 4" pipe for the main runs along the ceiling with flex hose drops. This would save some serious $$ on the plumbing. My only concern is the weight and that the fittings will be incompatible.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Zeno

Comment

I'm almost ashamed to admit I have to resort to shop-vac dust collection. My shop has very low ceilings (basement... go figure) and any DC system has to stand less than 74 inches high (luckly I'm only 6'1"!)

Anyway, I have a Ridgid 12 gal, 5hp hooked up to a ClearVue cyclone, which sits atop a 20gallon trash can. The ClearVue is connected via 2.5" flex hosing to a Y-joint with two 2.5" blast gates. One connects to a 24" section of flex hosing which is directly attached to my TS-3650. The other hooks up to a 10' length of flex hose which I use for all my other machines and general cleanup. It goes onto my router table... connects to my jointer (via 2.5" to 4" adapter)... attaches to the Ridgid bandsaw... goes on the Ridgid planer... and so on. I bought an aftermarket remote control outlet system which allows me to control the whole show from whatever machine I'm working at.

The ClearVue was pretty expensive, but it does it's job QUITE well. I've been doing a lot of work the last 3 weeks and there was over a foot of waste in the trash can. I just had about 1/2 cup of powder in the pleats of my Ridgid's filter. The only machine this system has any trouble keeping up with is the planer. And that's only if I'm doing wide boards, or trying to take off too much.

For the system above, I spent about $250 for the Ridgid shop-vac, the ClearVue, HEPA filter, flex hosing and connectors, and the outlet remote controls.

My point is not that a shop-vac based system is in any way superior (or even equal) to a dedicated DC unit. But, it can be done and be effective. As many have pointed out, a dedicated DC will easily run you over $200. The pipes, joints, and gates will easily run you almost that much again in a multi-station workshop. So, call it $400, minimum for a low-end system and setup components.

Don't get me wrong. I *wish* I could put in that slick canister topped JET system. But, for cost and space reasons, I'm satisfied with what I've got.

Comment

Working...
                                X