X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the best of junk wood

We were up cutting our Christmas tree 2 weeks ago and needed some firewood. My son found a down Oak tree and went to work on it with his 36" Stil chainsaw. It was kinda pulpy and did not burn good but I looked at it and had him slice me up some chunks for my lathe. It was tough to turn on my old crappy Craftsman lathe but did the best I could. Couldn't do much cooking with them but made use of it anyway. He's got some bigger slabs and going to try making a plate or two also.

What was inside was awesome! Worm holes, rot, spalting and even a few shot gun pellet holes! LOL
    Just clear oil poly on them and they shined up nice and turned really dark.

Anyway, going to use these for Christmas presents for my customers. Going to add a big bag of M&M's and a card.

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Making the best of junk wood

Very nice, WM! Those look great. It's amazing how nice "crappy" wood can be in the right hands. Well done.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

WOW! Great job. It is lots of fun when an unanticipated find like the figuring inside your wood reveals itself. I bet your customers will love them.

Tom

Comment

Very nice! It's amazing what you managed to get from something described as so crappy. Certainly one heckuva incentive to look at a potential lathe in my future.

Thanks for posting,

CWS

Comment

Beautiful work anyone would love them as gifts.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

CWS... my lathe is an old beater Craftsman. It's bent and shakes and the pulleys are about to fall off....literally! LOL But it still spins providing I spray the motor bearing on the pulley end with some WD40, otherwise, it gets real hard to turn. But it still works and they can be had cheap if you watch your local paper or Craigs list in your area. I'd love to get a new one but the one I'd like is over 3 grand! and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

I just finished up a Cherry kitchen and am turning a big bowl for them for Christmas too. It's a segmented bowl 8" high and 12" in diameter. Going to stain it to match the kitchen and fill it with,,,,,,,,hmm, I don't know! LOL Something I guess.
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Very nice work! It's always interesting to see what shows up when you cut into some pieces. I'm sure your customers are going to appreciate the gift.

John

Comment

Great job!! With all that spalting, it looks almost like Maple!!

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I wish I had access to more "ugly" wood! LOL Lot's of pretty stuff out there to go find if I had the time.

Finished up the Cherry bowl for my customer, it matches the kitchen I just finished for them. Going to fill it with about 5 pounds of M&M's and a few ornaments for color.

Comment

Wood Meister, when you begin turning that bowl, how do you get started, ie, what turning tool(s)? It seems that would be pretty rough going to start out.

I'm guessing your turning very slow (<500 RPM) and using a roughing gouge.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, it's the slowest speed on my old Craftsman. It has 4 groove pulleys if that helps.

As far as tools go, I use a large gouge for most of the work. I stop once in a while and give it a quick sharpen on my belt sander! LOL But it works for me! I have 2 full sets of lathe tools (cheap ones!) and use basically what ever works.

Comment

Not being used to this forum yet this is my second attempt at complimenting the turning work posted on this site. In between periods of a hockey game I opened up the forum to see inspiration in wood. WOW....makes me glad I stored my lathe and didn't sell it.

Well Done and Merry Christmas, Rick (ilike2ls)

Comment

Working...
                        X