X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Table saws are they any good?

Just wondering if King table saws are any good. Thinking about getting the cabined makers saw.

The fence for my ts3650 never came in yet. Gave them until tomorrow.

Reboot---hey it's your saw, but what's the matter with the reccomendations people have made on your other questions. I don't know where you find them but I've been hanging around forums and in ww'ing for many years and never heard of the King saw.
    Dave

Comment

I only live in a small town, in order to get those other saws I have to travel 250 miles. There is not a lot of choice here.

Sorry for being such a bother.

Only a newbie

Comment

Funny you mention about the King saw. I just saw it today sitting underneath Mule's router table ad at http://www.mulecab.com/products.asp?...s=3&x=9&y=1%20 I saw one advertised on ebay but never heard of it either. Apparantly Mule likes them.

Comment

Hi Reboot - This saw was on my list until I spotted the General Intl. The King looked ok. There were two fence options....one being the typical aluminum junk, and the other a Biese copy similar to what's on the Griz and Canwood.....Get the Biese clone. I've read mixed reviews from owners on the web. The Canadianwoodworking.com site could probably give you more info.

Comment

Check out the king tablesaw site

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=101

Been around a long time

Comment

Reboot,
              I recommend you consider what you have asked already.

"Thinking about buying this saw this week. It is a major investment for me. Is it a good saw. Is it worth the money."

I know that King is said to have a strong following, but the people I've heard saying that are dealers. King Canada is the importer, the tools are pure Chinese and not their best efforts. I've seen them at shows, but they are always priced really low which made me weary. Some months ago I spent a while scrutinizing one at a dealer while I was looking at a 36-650 Delta tilting arbor saw and a General 50-220. My opinion was that it was very light weight construction, poorly designed and machined.I personally wouldn't spend the money on a saw like that. I'd never be satisfied with it and every time I had to readjust it or wait for a replacement part, it would just be more salt on the wound. I'd rather rip and joint the wood by hand while I saved up for a better investment. The dealer said he had about 5 of them come back due to various issues. Call him if you want, maybe he'll give you a straight answer.

Markham Industrial & Trade Supplies (905)477-5192

I have a couple of King mobile bases for my lighter equipment. They're a good buy, but I wouldn't put anything close to their rated capacity of 500lbs on them. The dealer I buy them from doesn't recommend that either. When I put them together, a few bolts broke under regular torque. I find this a common occurrence with cheap Chinese products. I can't imagine having a whole saw put together with those bolts. It's strange, but there's a distinct difference in metallurgy between Mainland China and Taiwan.

I empathize with your having to drive so far. If you haven't already, you should check Delta's web site. They have a dealer search tool that works for Canada too. General also has a listing of dealers on their site. I don't know where you're located, but there are several Canadian organizations that should be able to point you to a dealer closer to home.

Start here

http://cwa_online.tripod.com/supplies.html

Canadian Woodworking and Canadian Home Workshop forums would be a good place to post these questions as well.

Another option you may not have considered is to have the big boxes order your saw for you. Home Depot can order in any Delta saw and Rona can order in any General saw.

If you're new to table saws and you need more advice, I recommend "The Tablesaw Book" by Kelly Mehler. He won't tell you to go buy a specific saw, but he lays it all out, enabling you to make an informed decision. You should have a better idea what to look for after reading this book. You can get it from many sources, but I just saw the latest revision at Lee Valley.

Really consider what you intend to do with this saw. If it's the centre of your production, then you should consider buying the best you can afford. However, you can do really good work without a really expensive saw. Last summer I was visiting friends in Vancouver. My wife and I were walking around Granville Island when we came across the modest shop of Fritz Muntean.

http://www.nwbungalow.ca

A very nice man, quite inspiring. Beautiful work!
              In the centre of his small shop (which is the back of a tiny open store front) surrounded by shop built extensions and outfeed tables...a Bosch portable table saw. Although I wouldn't go this route because it doesn't suit my particular requirements, it changed my view of the "all important table saw".

Best of luck with your decision. Have fun, but never loose site of where your hands are.

Comment

I agree with the last message. People do amazing work with what they have. I have seen those little benchtop table saws, which are basically a circular saw mounted upside down, in some home shops and people make do with them.

Just make sure you feel good about your equipment. I have a nice older craftsman that most people would love to criticize but I really like it. If you can, get a belt driven saw with an iron table and a decent fence.

Make sure you assemble it in the room that it will occupy. I put mine together in the garage and then found out that it would'nt fit through the door to my shop. I am stupid sometimes.

Comment

reboot----you're not being a bother. All anyone is trying to do is help you learn from our experiences. You might want to check to see if Griz' delivers to Canada---but, I'd be very surprized if you couldn't get a General up there. Bridgewood, which I believe is all mail-order, has also had good reviews. However, to avoid frustration and problems in the future, try to stick with a brand with a large following and a good reputation for customer service.

As to smaller or benchtop saws----I'd highly advise against them---yes, some people do beautiful work with them-----but, you're much better off, on the average, with a full-sized saw, which makes it easier for a larger number of ww'ers to at least have a fighting chance.
                  Dave

Comment

Reboot,

I've never used a KING - but I know a guy from another woodworking forum. He has a KING cabinet saw and he wants to replace it. Don't know why - but he is generally not happy with KING as a tool manufacturer.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X