X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted for outfeed table top

I have been working on a new outfeed table and I have the frame built but I am not sure of what type top to use. I have been thinking of plywood or melaine, but I am undecided. Let me have your opinions please.

Re: Opinions wanted for outfeed table top

I used 3/4" MDO. You get the strength and stability of the plywood cores, with the smooth, clean surface of MDF.

I put a coat or two of polyurethane on it for a little protection and it works great.

Comment

I am sorry, I know what MDF is but I am not sure of what MDO is

Comment

It stands for Medium Density Overlay. From what I've read, it is like plywood; but with some kind of paper over it. It is smooth and strong, and can be used for outdoor signs.

Comment

Where do I find MDO? I normally just pick up what is at HD.

Comment

I don't think your HD will have it, but a lumber yard might. HD might have prefinished plywood, which is more expensive but is very smooth.

Comment

MDO is a plywood topped with a phenolic layer on both sides.
              Very expensive in sizes required for table extention.

I would use a 3/4 Russian ply on which you glue a melamine on both sides.
              This is what I have done when building mine for my 3650.

I took the plan from the Wood magazine.

Comment

I have either jsut used ply wood or if I got fancy laminated a piece of "Formica" to it, many times what I have as scrap. but at bigger big box stores usually one can buy "Formica" in large sheets for a reasonable cost. and then make the under what ever sheet good works for you.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

MDO is indeed a plywood center, but with a "veneer" of MDF over that, so it's smooth and consistent/flat.

MDO is less expensive than baltic birch plywood, but is in the same range.

I got mine at Menard's. Home Depot definitely will not carry it.

FYI, MDO is not with Phenolic facing. Woodcraft and other's do sell Phenolic faced plywood, and that IS expensive, but it's awesome. An outfeed table made of this stuff would last a lifetime, and cost an arm and a leg!

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3958
                  http://www.woodpeck.com/balticbirch.html

Comment

A couple of years ago I made one from 2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together. I edged them with 2"x3/4" hardwood to protect the edges and laminated a piece of vinyl to the top that a local cabinet shop gave me. The result is a top that should outlast me.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      I have either jsut used ply wood or if I got fancy laminated a piece of "Formica" to it, many times what I have as scrap. but at bigger big box stores usually one can buy "Formica" in large sheets for a reasonable cost. and then make the under what ever sheet good works for you.
                      A sheet of Formica at one of the big box stores should run you around $40 - $50. It will vary slightly with local and with the design, plain white being the least expensive. In HD you'll find it back with the kitchen cabinets, usually near the back center of the store if they're all laid out relatively the same. You'll find pressure rollers and contact cement there too.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Be careful of the plywood at HD. I bought some with the birch (?) veneer and the quality is signifigantly less than at a lumber yard.

Comment

When I built a new workbench for the garage I sized it to also work as an outfeed table. The top is two layers of 3/4" MDF laminated together. Lots and lots of yellow glue plus a grid of 1 1/4" woodscrews on the bottom side to clamp it. The lower board is drilled through to clear the threads and counter sunk on BOTH sides. One for the head, the other for the gunk that will pull up the threads from the seconds board.

Just keep in mind that when you put these screws in from the bottom side that you need to account for any areas like bench-dog holes so you don't hit the screws later. I did them about 4" on center. After the glue and screw operations, you can go back immediately and do any edge trimming to clean up the sides.

The edge was banded with some poplar (spline along the length of the top and the band, then more glue). You can make a quick washcoat of glue on the edge of MDF, then glue up the edge band then go back and apply a bit more glue to the MDF.

Finally, to seal it, three or four coats on both sides of sanding sealer followed by sanding (on the top side only) and finally a coat of wax so the later glue and stuff doesn't stick (mostly). But what ever you use to seal it, use an oil based product, not water based. At least make the first and second coats oil based.

I've since spilled a few things on it (like the time I knocked over the jar of wiping poly ) and so it needs a quick re-sanding and sealing but it was been working great. The top alone weighs in at around 90 lbs for this table.

Comment

I put together my outfeed table today and put a top on it. I did not yet make the cut for the tilt of the motor but the frame is made to go around the tilt. I also did not make the cuts for the miter slots. I will wait until Christmas, because I think my wife got me a Osborne EB-3 miter gauge. Here are some pics of what I did.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Watching one of the so called home improvement channels, I saw a product called Paper Stone that they were using for counter tops. If you could locate a local dealer they may have a remnant that would serve your purpose.

It is basically shredded paper mixed with a phenolic resin. Here is a link:

http://www.paperstoneproducts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X