X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS14002 Accesories???

Im having a tough time on finding ceramic guides blocks or other types of guides for my new band saw... where i can find it?? i hear that is a good idea to get some coolers guides other than the one that comes with the saw right from the box???
    any other improvement that i should to to get the max from my machine?

Re: BS14002 Accesories???

Carter Products make all kinds of accessories for bandsaws. The should have something that will fit your saw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: BS14002 Accessories???

Can the blade guides on the BS14002 be replaced with ball bearing guides?

Comment

First watch the video, then click this link...

http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...=102&cat_id=13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tv7cm0-VU

Comment

Thanks for the response. Next issue(s):

1. I read posts about replacing the BS14002 motor to increase the horse power for re-sawing. Would it not help to rewire the motor for 240 volts?

2. With a riser block, what would be the maximum reasonable re-saw capacity of this tool?

3. Would the ball bearing guides improve the performance?

Comment

1. I read posts about replacing the BS14002 motor to increase the horse power for re-sawing. Would it not help to rewire the motor for 240 volts?
            Wouldn't it be nice if by doubling the Voltage, you doubled the Horsepower? What happens is the Amperage requirement is cut in half, but the Horsepower remains the same.

2. With a riser block, what would be the maximum reasonable re-saw capacity of this tool?
            Depends on the density of the wood and the type of blade, the clearance on my saw is 12".

3. Would the ball bearing guides improve the performance?
            I found that even with the cool-blocks installed, I had an alignment problem, the blocks would not line up parallel. They would pinch the back of the blade but allow the front of the blade to much play, this caused the to blade drift. The bearings eliminated drift.

Comment

Regarding the 240 volt set up:

My table saw and air compressor are wired for 240 operation. In both cases, I get better performance out of the tool. The table saw does not bog down when I cut thick stock and the air compressor motor starts up much better with a load than with a 110 volt set up. I understand that horsepower doesn't improve, but could I expect the same thing (i.e., no bogging down) when re-sawing with the BS14002 wired for 240 volts?

Also, if a larger motor is required, what is the max horsepower allowed for the BS14002?

Comment

Why does everyone want to make the BS1400x into something its not?

If you want 12" resaw capacity and a bigger motor and a better table and bearing guides why not buy them up front when you buy the saw?

Now I realize that many already have the BS1400x and are looking to upgrade it as opposed to replacing outright, but many are coming on here and saying "I just bought this saw last week/month/whatever" and they want to upgrade it before they have even made a single cut.

Why buy a tool and try to morph it into something it is not, and have to do all the research, and back-fitting, and tuning (AND extra expense) to get it all to work right? Then on top of that you have to worry about voiding your warranty or possibly damaging the saw in the process, maybe even breaking something along the way (didn't someone just post that they over-tensioned the blade and broke the upper wheel mounting bracket?).

Do a little more research. Shop around a bit more. Go to a Woodworking show in your area if the opportunity presents itself, ask a friend about his BS, stop by Woodcraft and look at some of the various models out there. You don't have to buy there but its nice to be able to kick the tires and look under the hood.

Why RIDGID did not bring out the improved BS is a mystery. From the looks of it and what little info I found in reviews of the prototype it sounded like a big improvement over the current model. Hopefully they are working on an even better model that will be put in production soon, but the current economy makes that unlikely for the near term.

So what to do in the mean time? Well, how about a thread with a 14" bandsaw wish list of features or improvements that you would like to see in the next generation bandsaw? Doesn't require any acknowledgment by TTI/RIDGID that they are going to produce a new BS, but it gives them a place to monitor everyones thoughts and feedback that they can incorporate into the next model.

If there was such a thread here and you did make a suggestion, you have to realize that once your suggestion or idea is posted it is public domain and no one (TTI, RIDGID, nor any other manufacturer or person) is bound to offer you any compensation for your idea. But we all do this from time to time now on the Forum saying things like "I wish they would change this or that"., so in that respect not much changes, just that all those ideas would be gathered into one thread.

Maybe you think this is a bad idea (starting up a wish list thread), I'm not so sure it is a good one myself for various reasons. I'm just throwing it out there for consideration because so many people seem to want to do an extreme makeover of the RIDGID bandsaw.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I recently purchased a refurbed BS14002. I did not expect to purchase a band saw at this point, but the cost was only $175.00 plus tax. The way I see it is that I've got a little head room to make improvements to this saw which sells new for about $370 at HD. I don't expect to purchase a larger motor, but only to rewire it for better performance. If I invest the $160 or so with Carter for the bearing guides, I will have paid about the same as the cost for a new saw, but with better performance.

As for the other improvements, I'm trying to determine which are worth the investment if I get better performance. The Mini Max BS will come after I finish paying for my new Professional Saw Stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Why does everyone want to make the BS1400x into something its not?
                    which is... a band saw?
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I remember when I got my first car, I bought what I could afford and enjoyed it as-is. Then, as I saved more money, I would replace the stock under-performing parts with High-Performance parts. In the end I would have a unique car that I was very pleased to own.

I turned that simple Mustang into something it wasn't, and every one of my friends was doing the same thing to their cars.

I guess it still flows through my veins.

That little bandsaw is just begging to be upgraded. Wonder why it didn't come with a fence? They should not have included a blade either.

Comment

Hardware upgrades depend on a lot of factors.

Sometimes you see a two machines with only one or two differences between them. I'd say there is nothing wrong with changing the motor to a more powerful one as long as the speed is pretty much the same. There may be limitations to upgrades in other areas, for instance riser blocks, use of various blade sizes etc.

Of course the cost is something to be considered but even that is a very personal choice. Some of us just want to buy the tool with all the features out of the box. Others will take pride and pleasure and modifying the equipment they bought at a bargain price, or at a high cost. There is some pleasure in the results, but there is also a great deal of pleasure in the steps taken to achieve those results.

When I was even younger than I am now I used to tinker a lot more with computer hardware. I would spend thousands of dollars to experiment with the limits of processors. I just wanted to see how far I could push them before turning them into a fried wafer of silicon. There was no practical value to me in this but it still felt good to have a 300MHz cpu give out its soul at twice or thrice its rated speed. If I wanted to just have a fast processor I would have bought one at a fraction of what it cost me to be able to fry a cheaper one.

Woodworking as a hobby seems to be very similar. Just last weekend I made a simple keyboard drawer to donate it to a library for a kids e-learning workstation. They could have bought a very good one for about $100 but instead I spent about 10 hours - gluing small pieces together, sanding and finishing to perfection, or at least what I hoped was perfection. I get a kick out of the fact that people like it and that I made something someone will be happy to use.
                        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                        X