X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice RE Vacuum Hose Size

I'm seeking advice regarding the preferable hose diameter for a vacuum cleaner. Is bigger better? I will use the vacuum for general cleaning plus washing carpets in cars. Since hose size isn't related to price or power, how do I determine which to buy?

I'm cautious about responding to a question about hose size, but here goes.

I just replaced my ShopVac with the RIDGID 4.25 HP - 12Gl unit. The old SV had a 2 inch hose while the new Ridgid has the 4 inch. I use mine in much the same way that you plan to. Cleaning up my shop after a days work is much easier with the new one and I think it is due to the hose size which does not clog like the old one did.

Comment

Small or larger hose size does not necessarily mean more or less power. Smaller hoses can give you more vacuum (IE lift more inches of water) while larger hoses will give you more volume (CFM). In a wood shop I would want a vac with more CFM

Comment

I think B52V made a bit of an error on the vac hose. My Ridgid 4.25h has a 2.5 inch hose. Four inch is usually confined to a dust collector, I've never seen a vacuum with one that large.

When you say "washing carpet in cars", is this a wet use? If so, I would definitely not increase the size of hose from stock. You need every inch of static pressure you can get to lift water.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by b52v:
          I'm cautious about responding to a question about hose size, but here goes.

I just replaced my ShopVac with the RIDGID 4.25 HP - 12Gl unit. The old SV had a 2 inch hose while the new Ridgid has the 4 inch. I use mine in much the same way that you plan to. Cleaning up my shop after a days work is much easier with the new one and I think it is due to the hose size which does not clog like the old one did.
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve:
            Originally posted by b52v:
            [qb]I'm cautious about responding to a question about hose size, but here goes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QB]
            null

Comment

Working...
            X