X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Let's see some project pics!

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
    Hewood-

Nice work on both projects. I've pondered building a guitar for several years. Was this your first? Did you buy the neck?
    This was my 2nd guitar project, and I did buy the neck, which I highly recommend. I also highly recommend building one...it's a great learning adventure and a really fun project. There's a ton of online information. Here's a link to the whole process if you're interested. Hope you build one and post it for us!

Comment

Hewood-

Nice work on both projects. I've pondered building a guitar for several years. Was this your first? Did you buy the neck?
      There is also a 3 part series over at the Woodwhisperer site that you might find interesting. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/birth-of-a-guitar-pt-1/ The guy builds a guitar for his wife from scratch.

Comment

I've got some Zebrawood boxes (Doug Stowe design) in the works. Plenty of pics over at my blog site.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...ean-zebra.html

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...de-planer.html

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...lid-on-it.html

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...k-in-time.html

I'm coming down the home stretch on these. We'll see how much work I can get done on them between snow shoveling sessions. 12-18 inches due here!
        Attached Files
        Pete
        My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
        http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

It may not be as pretty as some of the other projects here, but I'm proud of my first attempt at woodworking anyway.

I thought I'd start with something easy... like a 4,000 bottle wine cellar. Name:  ccae376114a7756daa41af14f103ed57.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  132.2 KBName:  d53281afda4982d1125e23929d0cada8.jpg
Size:  108.9 KBName:  4cfb18fcc2e9c137479d66582c907648.jpg
Size:  124.4 KBName:  ea135af7a69f1dd6074488c63a213165.jpg
Size:  111.4 KBName:  76d0fa47b5b37406aefecbd28cc29ab3.jpg
Size:  135.9 KB

Comment

Not exactly woodworking, but SWMBO has been keeping me busy with a "honey do" list that won't quit. Here are a couple of windows I replaced, and a set of pressure treated wood steps to our swimming pool.

Comment

Came across this tote I built a few years back. I started out not knowing what I would use it for it just looked like a fun project to build so I did. It sat around for a while without a purpose then one winter I decided to use it as a tote for my gluing paraphernalia so I could lug it all in and out of the shop so it wouldn't freeze when I wasn't working in there. That's been its purpose ever since.

What it originally was intended for I don't remember but its a knock down tote built from 1/4" plywood, no nails or screws, it all just snaps together.

Name:  eb658ee8bbe17e6be55348219fd79278.jpg
Size:  378.7 KB

The plan came out of a WWing mag, don't remember which one or if I still have the plan.

edit: 6/26/11

Went searching and found the source of the tote plans, it appeared in ShopNotes issue #91.
              You can download the cutting diagram for free if you are interested, but that really doesn't
              give you enough information to build the tote. You'd need the article for the layout of the tabs
              and slots, or you can get it in this set of plans from PlansNow.
              http://plansnow.com/dn3102.html
              Last edited by Bob D.; 06-26-2011, 07:56 AM.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Another one.

Do you know what this is for?

It's not done yet but maybe you can figure it out.

It's a nice quick project that can be done in a day including finishing.
                Makes a good project for kids just beginning woodworking, though
                you would probably want to do the router work yourself for safety.

A 7-1/2" x 11" piece of your favorite wood is all you need. So one
                board foot of lumber and you are in business. Shellac makes a good
                finish for this, easy and quick drying when you use a 2# cut and apply
                two or three coats. I am making these two from red oak scraps I had,
                you can use just about any wood.

This photo is as I started cutting out pieces for two of them. One is cut
                and the other is getting laid out to show you how to position the pieces
                for maximum yield.

Name:  7323cc48553fd5fdab5707306b7fe111.jpg
Size:  393.0 KB

Only two #10 x 1-1/2" wood screws and a hook need to be added to complete the project, and it will look like this.

Name:  7a8f98c25e5f5b3b33d8f629064749df.jpg
Size:  474.8 KB
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Banana hanger?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                    Banana hanger?
                    Yup, you got it.

Like I said a simple project but both the kids have asked for one like ours.

For the hook I looked but did not find anything that fit the application.
                    I wanted something is SS but didn't find a ready made hook of the right type.
                    I tried opening up a SS eyebolt made from 3/16" dia. material but couldn't get a
                    smooth curve when reforming it, but I didn't try heating it which would have helped.
                    I opted for a piece of 3/16" brass rod which I cut to a 5" length and then rounded
                    over the end at the tip by spinning it by hand against my belt sander. Then I chucked
                    the last 3/8" or so in my drill press and spun it up at 860 RPM and polished it with various
                    grits of micro-mesh pads up to 12000, then put a final polish on it with some semi-chrome
                    polish. I then used mu RIDGID #394 1/4" lever benders to give it a 135° bend leaving about
                    a 3/4" tangent at the end of the hook where I had rounded the end over on the belt sander.

The hook will get roughed up to give it some grip using the serrated jaws of a pair of pliers for
                    the ~3/4" portion that gets embedded in the wood with some 5 minute epoxy.

Two #8 x 1-1/4" wood screws secure the arm from the underside of the base. I used steel
                    screws during fit-up which will be replaced with brass screws for the final assembly. That
                    keeps the brass screws from getting marred while working on the piece, and since they
                    are soft there will be no chance of one breaking in the hard wood even though the holes are
                    pre-drilled with the proper size pilot bit.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-26-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Wife wanted a matching cabinet with glass doors for recipie books.

First is befor toning browner.

Second is installed.

Third is the first version that blotched totally.Now it is My router and saw cabinet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jamesamd View Post
                        Wife wanted a matching cabinet with glass doors for recipie books.

First is befor toning browner.

Second is installed.

Third is the first version that blotched totally.Now it is My router and saw cabinet.
                        Very nice! Great color match to the existing cabinets, did you build those also?

That Amstel Light in the first photo didn't have anything to do with the first one becoming the router cabinet did it?

Comment

Need to finish this project started last year as we recently got word that we will soon be grandparents. Well not so soon I guess, sometime in March 2012 so I guess I have time.

Name:  f876a35664e7732c13d94a6e0f9cc046.jpg
Size:  501.9 KB
                          Name:  bef9c32f8877ad4b85d1f1769712f916.jpg
Size:  513.7 KB

Comment

Nice work Jamesamd.

Bob, I anticipate a lot more project pictures from you in the next 8 months. So much to build, so little time.

This is something I completed a couple of months ago.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Jamesamd.

Bob, I anticipate a lot more project pictures from you in the next 8 months. So much to build, so little time.

This is something I completed a couple of months ago.
                              Very nice.
                              Can you tell us something about the door panels?
                              They appear to be in relief but hard to tell in a 2d photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                                Very nice.
                                Can you tell us something about the door panels?
                                They appear to be in relief but hard to tell in a 2d photo.
                                I basically made this sideboard so I could try these door panels. They are 1/2" thick cherry and milled using a router trammel with a 1/4" radius round nose bit. I saw the design in Fine Woodworking magazine (April 2110 # 211) and have been waiting for a chance to build something around the doors.

The process for making the panels is really very easy. Place cleats around the panel blank so it can't move. Attach your router to a trammel that has a series of holes for the pivot. Set the pivot location and route the first curve then move to the next hole. Place your pivot on a board that can be moved so you can place it where you need in both X and Y axis. I centered the X axis and adjusted the Y axis so the curves would be centered. It would be easier to mill a larger panel and trim to center the milling.

My biggest problem was I assembled the doors before finishing the panels. Not easy the sand shellac on the panel when it is in the door frame. Lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                                X