If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You will be required to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Wow, been almost a year since someone posted a project to this thread.
Anyway, this is not much (if at all) a woodworking project, but this thread is more than woodworking projects so I posted it.
We have a nice big deck on the back of the house, about 1400 sf. It has benches around about 50% of the edge. We wanted some way to have some planting on the deck so fr a couple years I bought some nice planters with a variety of plants in them and they looked great, but we wanted more height and also wanted to put out a couple hummingbird feeders to attract them to the deck so we could watch them.
This is what I came up with last year. I made to of them and this weekend I made a third. I took the pottery planters from previous years and I found some nice sheppard hooks with multiple hooks at Lowes, the ones at HD were not as nice. I took some old pieces of 2x6 deck material from a repair I did last year and cut a + shape piece to fit loosely inside the crock. I did not make this a tight or snug fit, I left about 1/4 short of the ID so that the wood could swell when wet and not break the crock. In the photos you can see that the stand has an h shaped double prong at the bottom. these are designed to be set in the ground and the second prong keeps it from spinning. I cut these shorter, about a 1/4" shorter than the width of the 2x6 so that it would not bottom out. The main prong is drilled into the wood to place it in the center. The second hole you just drill to the spread of the two prongs. One the one crock which is shown in the photos I could not use the second prong because the diameter of the third crock was less than the other two, only about 12". The bigger crocks are better as they have more room for ballast as you will see. So I place the wood and the hook in the crock and then I fill it with some 3/4" river rock for ballast, it takes about a 5 gallon bucket of rock to fill the small crock, and about 1.5 buckets each for the two larger ones. You could use dirt but then you'll have to deal with weeds or you could plant some small flower in the crock which would look nice too.
Anyway, here's the pics. an easy project that will make the wife happy and only took about 20 minutes each.
It's been a while since I posted too Bob. Last summer's "Honey-do" list kept me from doing any furniture building, but I did get to cut some wood and use lots of tools. The last time I posted a project, I was just getting started with this. I spent the better part of the summer rebuilding our deck, building a patio, and adding a pergola above it, along with some landscaping changes. This year I'm staining the deck and pergola and finishing up the landscaping.
Well, it has been a long while since I produced anything in the shop. Anyway, here's a stool that my wife's grandfather built as a shop teacher. Both wood and tools were in short supply for much of his teaching history, what with the depression, WW II and Korea. So, the stool had been pretty beaten up and the only thing that could be salvaged I had just enough cherry in the scrap box to get it all done. As you can see, I made a mistake and had to face glue two pieces to get thickness for the leg. Then, I decided to dress it up with face application of a splash of walnut cut with a plate joiner. Once again, a brain fart placing the walnut on the wrong face forced the need for me to cut twice as many as I was planning. Oh well, it's the sign of a craftsman to hide your mistakes behind a design element which serves to blend and not fight for attention.
Here is the first pic that did not show up in the previous post. Not sure why.
Anyway, Mahogany and Walnut coffee table. Arts and Crafts build from a table Gregory Paolini had on the Fine WWking web site. I altered the plan just a tad and did not use the end slats that he had. I thought the confined the shelf too much.