X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection

Looking for some advice here. I have the Ridgid shop dust collector but looking for a combination of more power and better filtration (i.e. 1 micron bags). I know I can get 1 micron bags made, but it doesn't solve my first problem.

I am waiting for the Delta 50-850 to come in, but in the meantime I was thinking, maybe I can set up my 5.5HP Ridgid shop vac and one of those cyclone garbage can lids and use that (cyclone lid on can collects large particles and only the dust would get through to the shop vac). My hesitation is that the shop vac is real loud, but I don't know how loud the Delta will be. I also have had problems with the shop vac filter clogging over time with the fine dust.

What are you guys doing? Anybody have the Delta? Is it as loud as a shop vac?

Jerry, as to the loud noise from the vac, try this muffler box: http://www.americanwoodworker.com/20...rkers_library/
    I built it, dirt cheap, used it on my Ridgid 16 gal shop vac and it works great! You can actually carry on a decent conversation while the vac is running! Been using the vac nearly 2 hours straight most evenings and no problems encountered with heat buidup so far. Used the top of the box as a mobile work area too! Almost sure it will work with just about any shop vac...

...still only making dust...

Comment

Jerry, as to the loud noise from the vac, try this muffler box: http://www.americanwoodworker.com/20...rkers_library/
      I built it, dirt cheap, used it on my Ridgid 16 gal shop vac and it works great! You can actually carry on a decent conversation while the vac is running! Been using the vac nearly 2 hours straight most evenings and no problems encountered with heat buidup so far. Used the top of the box as a mobile work area too! Almost sure it will work with just about any shop vac...

...still only making dust...

Comment

oops! sorry guys for the double up...slippery fingers...

Comment

I have a Jet dust collector, DC1100, that specs closely to the Delta 850 (assuming the 850 is the 1 1/2hp machine?) The sound level comparision is, not even close. Not only is it much, much less noisy, but the noise is also lower-pitched, less nerve-jarring.

I'm a hearing protection advocate, so I wear earmuffs with both machines. But, I could stand a minute of the dust collector running. Not the vac.

Dave

Comment

I also built a "muffler box" for my shop vac. That reduced the noise significantly, but what also helped quite a bit was to put a hose on the exhaust and route it outside and away from the shop with an 8' piece of PVC with a muffler on the end. Now it's silent! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Terry,

That's interesting. What sort of mufler did you use at the end of the PVC outpipe? How silent is "silent"?

Dustmaker

Comment

Working...
              X