Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander combo

Hi out there:

I am contemplating purchasing the rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander combo.
    In the description of the unit it says it has 4 spindles: 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" and 2"
    but it also says it has 5 sanding sleeves starting at 1/2" diameter. I want a
    unit that has at least a 1/2" spindle. How do you put a 1/2" sleeve on a 3/4"
    drum. Does anyone know of a unit that has a 1/4" sleeve besides the jet
    bench top oscillating sander......they are a little pricey.

Hope all this made sense.....thank you for your help.

Dard

Re: rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander combo

The 1/2" fits on the spindle by itself without the rubber drum. This sander works great by the way.

Chuck

Comment

The spindle holds the 1/2" sleeve without needing a drum. I've used mine many many times with the 1/2" sleeve and it works fine. It can't go any smaller than that, however.

IMHO, this is one of Ridgid's really good tools. Once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The Ridgid was the only choice I could find near this price range that offered both an oscillating belt and OSS. It works well, though I wish the belt was longer. So far I've seen zero advantage for the choices from Craftsman, Triton, etc., that offer only the OSS for close to the same price as the Ridgid combo. I do use both features quite a bit.

Comment

This is an excellent tool!
          You may find a challenge trying to locate sanding sleeves. Home Depot may or may not carry replacement sleeves. But don't let that discourage you..There are many other sources to buy replacement sanding sleeves.

Be sure to use a vacuum to ensure good dust collection and then blow out all debris when finished. This ensures a very long and reliable life for this tool.

Cactus Man

Comment

I bought one of those as a recon several years ago. I use the heck out of it. The only problem I have found is that when sanding with a lot of pressure, the belt will walk up or down on the belt assembly. All I need to do to fix that problem is to reduce the pressure of the stock against the belt assembly.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

One of the reviews I read about this sander is that parts are not available. Is this true? If so that is not a good thing.
              Thank You,

Rowland

Comment

Originally posted by RowlandB View Post
                One of the reviews I read about this sander is that parts are not available. Is this true? If so that is not a good thing.
                Parts for this tool are available through ridgidparts.com and other sources. If you mean things like sanding belts and sleeves, you can get them at HD sometimes, although they're not always available there. You can always order sleeves and belts from klingspore or other online abrasives dealers. Just google sanding sleeves and you'll find lots of suppliers.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dard View Post
                  Hi out there:

I am contemplating purchasing the rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander combo.
                  In the description of the unit it says it has 4 spindles: 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" and 2"
                  but it also says it has 5 sanding sleeves starting at 1/2" diameter. I want a
                  unit that has at least a 1/2" spindle. How do you put a 1/2" sleeve on a 3/4"
                  drum. Does anyone know of a unit that has a 1/4" sleeve besides the jet
                  bench top oscillating sander......they are a little pricey.

Hope all this made sense.....thank you for your help.

Dard
                  Hello Dard,
                  I bought this sander just last night. You do not need a drum with the 1/2 inch sanding spindle. I love it! For the price you can't beat it, and you can register it for a lifetime warranty. Anything breaks take it back! There is one accessory that I wish it had, and that is a miter guage, which is not included. I am trying to locate one now. GET IT! Even if you don't like it, you have 90 days to take it back for a full refund. Good Luck!..........................Bruce!!!

Comment

I have had the sander for about six months now and really like it. I always hook the shop vac up to it or eat dust. The belts are readily available at HD the spindle the spindles from http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...indle%20sander they do not have the 1/2" however amazon has them at http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12307704...0sleeve&page=2 ya kinda long you could go here because the Ridgid is mentions by name along with the 1/2" or just go to Amazon and search "spindle sanding sleeves".
                    Hope this helps.

Comment

As the other posters have stated, this is an awesome tool that I now don't know how I got along without. My buddies can't believe they paid this amount or more and do NOT have the belt sander attachment.

Comment

Working...
                      X