X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt Track Saw

Anybody have one of these? And if so what do you think so far.
    sigpic

Re: DeWalt Track Saw

I don't have one............yet, but I will shortly as I'm tired of wrestling with sheet goods. This thing looks like the perfect answer. I also like the idea of putting the 2' hard insulation under the plywood so you can cut it up on the ground.
    Great ideas.

Comment

I have seen them on line, and with a price tag of between 450.00 and 1000.00 I probable will not be getting one any time soon just too rich for me right now. I like the concept and all and the fact it doesn't take up half the shop wall like a plywood cutter would (I haven't priced one of these yet) but in need things like planner, jointer , drill press and a 14" jigsaw first and by the time I get all that there won't be room for anything else.
      Last edited by xplorx4; 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling of course

Comment

Nice looking tool.I'll bet it works great. I've been building what I call a sled for years that does a similar task. Cost is under 20 bucks but they do wear out. I use 1/4" melimean [hard board] and 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat bar.Rip hard board 2x measurement of shoe of saw +2" , screw flat bar down middle and run saw down both sides.Make sure the bar is strait.Then you have a minimal tear out,rip,cut off tool for your circular saw.The better quality the saw, the better the cut.The better quality the cut person well duh.The sled is the poor carpenter's panal saw.Operater err or exicusion is vital,you need to pay attension

Comment

It's pretty easy to make your own or buy a guide for a circular saw. It's not all the a track saw is, but it will do a majority of what you want and for much less. If you were looking at a track saw in place of a panel saw for cutting sheet goods that would be different. Then the cost is comparable and that's is probably one thing that keeps the price so high for the track saws like the new DeWalt and the Festool saw and others.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have 10 fingers and 25+ years of attempting to remove them from my body. I agree with what you say but there are people out there that can't afford the cutting edge.So I offer a sled. No bigi

kekitsimplstupid

Comment

Actually this type of saw is showing up more and more. Festool, Ezguide, Makita and etc.
              They are replacing table saws, cutoff saws, panel saws, radial arm saws in more and more cabinet and wholesales shops.
              They originally came out of Europe where the European OSHA equalivent is slowing making other saw obsolete due to dust and hazardous accident mandates.

I have a few friends that have commerical operations one a cabinet shop and the other a cabinet supply wholesaler that are now using these machines. I went into the cabinet wholesalers, where they have two unisaws, a panel saw and 16" radial arm and one Festool guided saw. The workers fight over the Festool and my buddy says the others saws are scheduled of be eliminated because they haven't used them since the Festool came in.
              Plus he received a huge reduction in insurance quote if he eliminates them.

My buddy with the cabinet shop was facing an insurance increase that would have put him out of business, then he found out if he got rid of the Unisaw his rates would actually be lower than what he had been paying. His choice a Sawstop which is big bucks or a guided saw system. He went with the guided saw system and immediately his production went up. He now has a couple of them. Plus he passed the environmentatl air testing he was dreading and his insurance is now not a problem.

I really think this is the wave of the future and I hope Ridgid jumps on it big time.
              Ed
              Rev Ed

Comment

ReveEd-

I'm with you on this one. It'd be great if Ridgid offered a more reasonable cost alternative to these Track saws.

I can't believe that the cost of the saw plus rail, should cost anywhere in the neighborhood of what a table saw would cost.

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                Actually this type of saw is showing up more and more. Festool, Ezguide, Makita and etc.
                They are replacing table saws, cutoff saws, panel saws, radial arm saws in more and more cabinet and wholesales shops.
                They originally came out of Europe where the European OSHA equalivent is slowing making other saw obsolete due to dust and hazardous accident mandates.

I have a few friends that have commerical operations one a cabinet shop and the other a cabinet supply wholesaler that are now using these machines. I went into the cabinet wholesalers, where they have two unisaws, a panel saw and 16" radial arm and one Festool guided saw. The workers fight over the Festool and my buddy says the others saws are scheduled of be eliminated because they haven't used them since the Festool came in.
                Plus he received a huge reduction in insurance quote if he eliminates them.

My buddy with the cabinet shop was facing an insurance increase that would have put him out of business, then he found out if he got rid of the Unisaw his rates would actually be lower than what he had been paying. His choice a Sawstop which is big bucks or a guided saw system. He went with the guided saw system and immediately his production went up. He now has a couple of them. Plus he passed the environmentatl air testing he was dreading and his insurance is now not a problem.

I really think this is the wave of the future and I hope Ridgid jumps on it big time.
                Ed

Comment

As I don’t have room for a table saw I researched the track saw options and settled on the Eurekazone system. I couldn’t be more impressed. I was able to use my own circular saw and shop vacuum as pictured. Easily picks up 95% or more of the saw dust and cuts great. What’s nice is that you can purchase parts as you need them. I’ve started out with the basic items and now that I’ve used it I plan to expand the system. The customer service is top notch. Check out their site.
                  http://eurekazone.com/index.html
                  Attached Files
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X