X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 power question

I'm looking to build a new workbench and would like to make the top out of maple. The question is - is the 3650 up to the task of ripping 8/4 hardwood like that? And if not what is the reasonable limit on ripping hardwoods like maple, meaning no burn marks, etc. I can work with less than 8/4 but would like it thicker than 4/4. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter

If properly aligned, the saw will do the job but will your blade? What blade are you using?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree that the blade is critical and will get the right one for the job (any advice??). I have the original Ridgid blade on the saw which seems like a good all around blade. I assume a thin kerf ripping blade is what you'd propose? This question, by the way, was triggered by something I read this weekend that contractor saws aren't really up to the task of ripping thick hardwood planks. Thanks.

Comment

Peter,

According to the knowledgeable folks at Freud Tools, the blades they recommend you use are;

Ripping
        Freud LU87R010 or TKR206

Crosscutting
        Freud LU88R010 or TK406

I don't personally think that the stock Ridgid blade is a very good blade but thats just me. I will however say that if you switch to the Freud LU Series of blades you will definately notice a big difference between them and the stock blade. I've never used the TK Series so I really can't speak as to their level of cut or quality.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You'll definitely want a ripping blade for that. It'll help your saw alot, and will come in handy often to save your better blades. My Freud LM72 is a bear.

[ 01-25-2005, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I'll look into the Freud blades and give it a whirl.

Comment

Working...
            X