X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting it all together

Well went down to HD and got the 3650 yesterday - unpacked it today and laid the pieces out on the garge floor - and will assemble it tomorrow.
    Any pitfalls I should be aware of ?
    Does this saw have a lifetime warranty ?
    Is there supose to be a zero clearance and dado insert with the saw?
    Thanks,
    If you are in the Keller area don't hesitate to PM me!
    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Mick,
    Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new 3650. It's a great saw. Warranty is 3 years.
    Assembly tips - Don't install the handwheels until after you stand it upright. The front rail takes 5 bolts, not 4 as per inst. That's why there are 9 bolts (5 front, 4 back). The nuts and bolts are a mix of standard and metric and will drive you nuts! [img]smile.gif[/img] Be real fussy about setting up the fence and rails, it's critical for safe and accurate cutting. Get help standing it upright, it's heavy (duh!). When you're all done you'll have 3 bolts left over. They are for attaching an aux fence if you need one. Apply a good coat of paste wax to the table, rails and fence (Johnsons, Butchers, etc.) Inserts are not included and the last I knew they may still not be available. Inserts are so easy to make for next to nothing I wouldn't buy them anyway. Get a couple table saw books from the library for inst. on how to make inserts along with other jigs and fixtures and tuning inst. Good luck and have fun!
    Edit: Almost forgot. [img]smile.gif[/img] The inst. for mounting the motor are a little screwy. Just adjust the motor in or out until there is tension on the belt thru the full range of blade heights.

[ 07-04-2004, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I agree with Lorax... don't put the handwheels on until the thing is up on its feet... you are at risk for damage if they're in place when you stand it up and accidently put the full weight of the saw on the wheels. Assembly of the Herc-U-Lift is a little mystifying with the illustrations, but not hard to figure out and get it to work. As Lorax has said, just do what makes sense when mounting the motor... when you end up with nice tension on the belt you will have accomplished the task correctly. If you follow the instructions to the letter you will be scratching your head. The manual definitely needs a revision on this step. Congratulations -- I think you will love this saw. Mine is a month old now and passes my 'Ultimate Tool Test' with flying colors... It's so nice that I look for excuses to power it up and use it! The Herc-U-Lift is a Godsend!

Comment

Hey Lorax and Greg.
        You two were on the money with everything you said. I am new in the Keller area and really didn't have any help (lifting) but managed.
        I did buy a book from Amazon used for about $4! Problem is I stopped assembly on my saw to read it and as I read more and more I started to get a little nervous about using a saw at all.. Sounds wimpy but the book made it seem like an accident was inevitable.
        About table saw inserts, I really need to get that done because I have a kick *** dado blade and am dieing to make some rabbits [img]smile.gif[/img]

btw, I thought this sucker as going to be loud - not the case at all. I love this using this saw so much I am thinking about buying a pick-up!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick:
          Sounds wimpy but the book made it seem like an accident was inevitable.
          Accidents are not inevitable but there is no doubt that a table saw has the potential to do great damage. Follow all the safety rules all the time and you'll be OK.
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Using things like spliters, blade guards, push sticks, hearing protection, safety glasses, jigs, wearing the proper clothing and keeping a clean working area aren't wimpy, they're SMART!

[ 07-16-2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I didn't mean the book was wimpy, I meant I was scared to use my own saw after reading the book!
              - making jigs is another scary prospect since i don't have a jigsaw, or the know-how. and i want to be safe about all of this like it says in the book. The point of the book seemed to be that no matter what safety you practiced you could still get hurt. It was a very good book though and I have seen it recommended several times on different forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick:
                ............ - making jigs is another scary prospect since i don't have a jigsaw,.........
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

mick,
                  Bosch is supposed to make a nice jigsaw
                  & congrats on the new TS

Comment

Safety, Safety, Safety! Always give thought to exactly what you are about to do and the steps necessary to do it as safely as possible. All circular saws are inherantly dangerous and need to be treated with the utmost respect. Don't push the saw beyond its limits and always use a good quality, sharp blade.

I watched my father remove a couple of fingers with a table saw, it was quick, and quite efficient! So, keep all the guards in place, don't get distracted, don't use it when you're tired, had a bad day, or a headache! The table saw can be a wonderful tool and with wise use you will spend many happy hours creating whatever masterwork you wish. But it can also bring you a world of hurt and sadness in that single moment when you didn't pay it the proper attention and respect too. So, be careful and enjoy.

CWS

Comment

You've inspired me Mick! Next time I run into a surly cabbie, I'll pull out my "hacksaw".

Comment

Use the S.T.A.R. principle;

Stop - When in doubt (and even when not) STOP and review what you are about to do.
                        Think - What could go wrong and how can I prevent it?
                        Act - Perform the intended action(s).
                        Review - Did everything go as planned/expected? If not then review/revise procedure or change setup to one that can be completed safely.

Comment

I think the # one safety rule is to pay attention. I do not think a little fear is a bad thing. When I get a little scared it probably means I am about to do something that needs some more thought.
                          Where is my hand?
                          What is the board going to do?
                          Where is the blade?
                          Is their a different way of doing this?

Comment

Okay, let’s review - Safety.. uh..Safety and their was one other thing that i can’t think of..

If safety is so important, then why does the saw come with a guard that seems poorly thought out?

I don't know much about TS's but it seems to me that this guard is very difficult to adjust too exactly behind the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC:
                              mick,
                              Bosch is supposed to make a nice jigsaw
                              & congrats on the new TS
                              Thanks, its has been a bunch of fun so far, I am addicted but just to be clear I am now sold on Ridgid - for some reason they can do no wrong..
                              3 year warranty, great looking and feeling products, good power, etc.
                              I just went and bought a Ridgid drill because I have a pocket hole jig and you need 2000+rpm and I got it for $50! Very nice drill! i also picked up the 5' orbital sander (Ridgid). Just loved the look and feel.
                              I am the type of person that sticks with someone until they mistreat me. I am sure you have seen people that won't buy anything but Craftsman tools or snap-on; I have always respected that sort of loyalty.
                              yea I should have picked up a jigsaw but I need to save something for my wife to get me at Christmas [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X