Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is AF3000 air filteration system a Good buy?

Any opinions on AF3000 air filteration system from Ridgid? HD has it on clearance (offering at $165/-). They said they will not carry this item in future. Looking for experienced input.

I do not have a af3000, however I do own a Jet AFS-1000B $199. I purchased this in an effort to reduce the amount of dust that settles in my garage after I have been working.

I have not noticed a significant difference while I am working, but there is less dust settling in my garage. The Jet has a timer feature that I can set for 2, 4, or 8 hours. It also has a remote. Usually I will run it while I work and set the timer for 2 hours after I stop. I have to clean the filter regularly, so I know it is working for me.

If you have a confined shop this is a valuable tool to use.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I looked at the unit. MPO was not very good. Consider if they are not going to make it, carry it, will filters be available? It's an odd ball size.

I went with the HF $149 unit. It keeps my shop dust free unless I go crazy with the air hose. I plan to add a 2nd one this year to upgrade to the circulation filtration now recommended. Penn State offers pre filters and bag filters very reasonably of the same size as the HF. Many other manufactures use the same size as HF. HF comes with a remote. I leave mine run non stop during the winter as a heat circulator for the propane heater. Works very well.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

You can make your own, with timer, for the cost of whatever scrap you have in the shop plus about $20, a little more if you have to buy any scrap. Go to any local AC/Heating contractor in the area and ask if they have a blower assembly they took out when putting a new system in. They will usually have a pile of them out back and tell you, "sure, take your choice (for free)". These vary from small motors with a squirrel cage attached to one like I got, a 1300CFM with a motor and belt driven cage. Build a box to fit but be sure to size it for filters. Filters can be any good furnice filter. I use 3M pleated filters doubled on the intake (I toss the outside one, move the inner one to the outside and put a clean one for the inner) and single on the out flow side. The box is from scrap ply and OSB I had laying around. I went to the big box and got a spring loaded timer switch for $12 and some wire. I mounted the switch on the wall next to the door of the shop and ran the air cleaner through it to an electrical source. Mine works better than any you can buy. It is a little louder because I used such a big blower assembly but it sure cleans the air of fines. The timer goes up to 12 hours, infinately variable not just 2-4-8.

gator

Comment

Gator,

Thanks for that post...I read it this morning and stopped by a local HVAC shop (same folks that installed my central air last year) on my way home from the lumber yard. I picked up a 1200CFM blower for $10 (not quite as good a deal as yours, but still pretty fair I thought). Now I just have to build a box for the unit. I was thinking of venting this directly outside (saves on filter costs/replacements and would also serve as exhaust for finishing fumes), does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this idea?

Comment

Dusthead -

In the winter you will also exhust your heated air (and cool air in the summer if you have an A/C). Maybe your heated air is cheap but mine isn't. 8^)

gator

Comment

Good point...I hadn't thought about that. Just trying to find a way to do my finishing in the basement during these cold winter months without stinking up the whole house. Seemed like a good way to solve 2 problems, just not thought through enough I guess.

Thanks again

Comment

Gator, let's say for argument's sake heated or cooled air is cheap, free ... would you go for Dusthead's idea? Does that mean a simple exhaust blower would clean the air up?

I never thought this thread would take me in this direction. Even though I may not attempt building my own unit, it certainly sounds intriguing.

Comment

Yeh, I'd go for the concept, but not with a simple exhust fan. I don't think it would have enough CFM to pull the air fast enough. I have open rafters in my shop with a gable fan that I thought, when I built the shop, would draw enough air across the shop (open window on opposite end) to create a cool breeze in the summer. Didn't work, not enough draw.

gator

Comment

Gator,
                    Or anyone else, I need to/want to build my own AF unit, I have most of the stuff already. About what size did you make yours? I know you said you used doubled filters, is there any air space between them or are they right against each other? Any thing on the exhaust side of the unit, more filters, or louvers etc.?How about the size of the filters. Thanks for the info.
                    JJC

Comment

JJC-

I made mine to just fit the outside diminsions of the blower envelope (as I said mine is a belt driven squirrel cage). I have double filters on the intake flush with each other. I have a single filter on the exhaust just to catch anything that may go through. The one on the exhaust is smaller than the doubles on the intake side.

gator

Comment

Good advice here - you can really go wild (if you desire-overkill IMO) and buy felt units from Graingers too that fit inside, add outer filters (furnace) and doubt you can buy anything comparable under $500.
                        Or simple box to fit, external filters (double up, best filter to inside-maybe even a HEPA as it'll stay clean. Mine does), and make up to fit.
                        If you access a real large unit this link may be a real nice way to go. To heavy to mount on a ceiling.
                        Lottsa plans out there..............

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm
                        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky, thanks for the link. Great ideas.

Comment

Interesting thread. Regarding filter size: you can buy elctr-static filter kits that can be made to any size you want. Anyone think these will work in this application?
                            keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Working...
                            X