X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routers scare me

I have a router inherited from my father in law some 15 years ago. I can count on one hand the times I used it until I recently turned avid woodworker. I read the articles and found I should have a router table. I bought one, brand will remain unmentioned, but have been disappointed in it's usefulness. I have two routers, both 1 1/2 Horse Black and Decker. One a plunge router the other not. My problem is attaching either of these to the router table. None of the holes seem to match up and I have resorted to making a round plywood plate that I attach to the router with it's normal base plate removed, and then I use deck screws to attach that to the router through the holes in the table.

Can anyone help me understand how this should be done so I can get more effective and safe use out of the router table? I am making a roll top desk and have used the Amana router bit set that makes interlocking tambour's. In this process I used feather boards in both the sideways movement and the vertical movement to be sure the stock was always in good contact with the router blades, but I was still concerned about the process.

Thank you in advance for your replies.:banghead

Re: Routers scare me

Maybe you need to get a video on the operation and techniques of a router table. Wood screws holding the plate, now that sounds scary to me, because wood screws can snap right off. For a router table, I like to use a 2 hp router, this does not mean that you cannot go with smaller ones. The speed in which you feed your work into, is also a big factor as well as, how much your taking off at each pass also. Most cases, I'll make 2 passes or more, taking a little more off after each pass going through.

I do use my table more than I do free hand, in fact most of my stuff I'll use peg/s instead of my fence and a bit w/a bearing, sort of free handing on a router table. I can do this, because I'm not in a hurry to take a lot of wood off in a pass. But if I'm standing my work on edge, then I will use the fence or any thin pieces I will use my fence and feather boards.

We all adjust our techniques to our own likings, get a video and watch how they do things. There use to be (maybe still is) 2 guys on the PBS channel on Saturdays, teaching their techniques on routers, see if you can catch that show, if they are still on....

I'm sure others will add to this thread and good luck to you and your routering....
    Last edited by garager; 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

www.routerforums.com lots and LOTS and LOTS of posts on beginning, intermediate and advanced techniques and even a few gory pictures to remind you why you should work safe...

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/do...eo_library.php

and look for "The Router Workshop" to see some of their older episodes. They do things a little bit differently but it looks like they still have all 10 fingers. Their "stuff" is sold through http://www.oak-park.com/ and it all seems to be of pretty good quality although personally I have not bought from there.

Also, you can get a pretty decent "universal" 9x12 router table insert plate from Harbor Freight. It is a clone of the Rouseau (probably spelled that wrong) plate. I made my own table and used one of these. Seems to be working out just fine for me.

Comment

You can watch a lot of flicks on youtube. Some are better than others, but there is always a tip or two to learn from most.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Here is a listing of PBS channels in your area that broadcast
          The Router Workshop Good show and you'll be suprised at all they build with just a router. Pat

Comment

Skocars,

Does your router table use a removable insert plate to mount the router or does the router mount directly to the underside of the table? If it's a removable mount, you need to drill it to match your router's baseplate. You can then use the proper machine screws to mount it. If it doesn't have a plate, your best bet is probably to get a baseplate that matches the table.

I use my routers constantly, almost as much as the table saw. The table-mounted router by far gets the most use and I'd be lost without it.

Lots of good links and reading already suggested!

John

Comment

I think our routers aught to scare all of us into a good respect and common sense in using them. Check out this post over at the router forum, it sure sobered me up to the inherent danger in any power tool not properly used.

But this should not make us afraid of the tool when we exercise safety and good judgment and take the time to learn proper procedures with the tool. I have, like many others, gone off and practiced really stupid things at first and I am glad all of me is here to tell about it. Some times we just need to take a deep breath, get the necessary help and training and then go slow as we first learn to handle power tools. I am not trying to make you more apprehensive then you might already be, and I am sure with proper training you will become quite good with the tools in your work shop, and produce some really great and some not so really great item for family and friends. That too is part of the endeavor, or hobby, or what ever you want to call it.

In my signature on the router forum it states;

"We are all one decision away from stupid".

http://www.routerforums.com/shop-saf...-happened.html

Comment

I was wanting to post pic on the last post, but had to come over here to do it. This is my router table, way more than needed but I had all the basic cabinets top and so forth. I also use it as a run-out table for my TS. I was nearly completed when got on the router forum and they helped me some there. But just take a gander, note the router plate, the black thing, this is usually a more practiced way to attach the router. Sometimes you might have to drill the holes to attach but sometimes not. I have the Ridgid RS2930 and it shares the same holes as the PC.
                Attached Files

Comment

Frist consider buying a soft start router, I think that will help in the fear area. I know it helped me. I owned a Sear router that scared the willys out of me. How I have a few much bigger and more powerful that have soft start and no fear factor.

As for mounting your router, many older routers do not fall into the normal router mounting patterns. You can do what you did, or you can drill new holes. Your choice.

Frankly I would get a new router that has a base hole patten compatible with the Porter Cable pattern that most manufactures, manufacture to and try again to see if a router is for you or not.
                  Ed
                  Rev Ed

Comment

BE afraid of the router! A healthy dose of fear and paranoia will keep you safer around cutting machines.

Unlike with a tablesaw where a gross mistake might result in a severed finger, which you could have a hope of reattaching, a 12,000 RPM router bit will just mangle your fingers / hand / wrist, possibly irreparably. Also, while a tablesaw might throw a chunk of wood at you at 140mph and cause a big ouchie, a router bit exploding will throw hard steel and carbide sharpness at you, also at exhorbitant speeds. Think: SHRAPNEL and GUNSHOT wound comparison...

Be safe and maintain a healthy respect for any tool.

Comment

Working...
                    X