No announcement yet.

Anybody still cutting wood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cut wood everyday, after all this is what I do for a living. Helped me forget about my warranty problems real fast too Rick Leet, I'll second the call for a nicer sheet of plywood, fancy cherry or maple bookcases with crowns and wrap bases and custom entertainment centers are my biggest sellers. However, I live in a college neighborhood and the students have been buying all the #2 pine bookcases I can make. Its a question of price, but make your son happy with a nice cherry bookcase. My son is away at AT as well right now and I will have a nice BE maple desk waiting to surprise him when he comes back Hooah!

Comment

I cut wood everyday...decked about 210 sq feet of treated lumber decking today.

Hey Big...great looking benches! I love cutting cedar!
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Thanks for the info on the book cases fellas, I Printed it off so I can put the items in my file. Thanks for the invite Big Johnson, I would love to do that! I banged together a #02 pine book case for my son about 2 years ago and made some fancies with my new router at the time. All I got was "ah Man, what'd ya do that for!" He wouldn't even let me stain them. He's 30 years old, not married, and love his firearms collection plus his Hot cars ('66 Plymouth Sat. with a Charlies healthy 440 V8) Doesn't like woodworking. Possibly his current love will upgrade his taste??? in furniture! Rick

Comment

Now THAT's more like it. I really enjoyed my first cup of coffee this morning. Thanks guys!

Comment

I got my new air filter finished this weekend-it has a furnace blower inside (22" dia.X 24" long). I put 12X12 blue filters outside and pleated paper on the inside (double filters). When I turned it on it SUCKED the filters right on through. I increased the filter sizes to 16X20 to match my furnace and then hung this big plywood box up in the rafters,added a little ducting to deflect the air flow and I can't believe it works. Helps take care of the sawdust I seem so adept at making and helps cool things down. Now I just have to set up a DC and an Air conditioner to keep thing comfortable this summer,while I play with my new saw. Sure can make sawdust and toothpicks with it now!! r

Comment

Rick,
              I would really like to see some pictures or examples of your dust filter... I want to make one sometime this year... I have a good friend that owns his own heating and air-conditioning business... I was going to look him up for the used blower parts...
              I was thinking about putting a plug-in remote control from Menards on mine when I make it to keep things simple... They cost about $10.00 to 15.00 and will handle like 1500 to 1800 watts...
              I have one running my dust collector right now and it works great...
              Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

When I hooked mine up I just wired the high and low side/had a 4 speed blower. As I said yhe way it runs I didn't need the high side. At present I just have it plugged into my lights so when my lights go on it does to. Sure helps the air circulation! I took the blower and put it in a plywood box with a removable masonite top(assembled with screws. I then cut 3 holes 1 for the outlet in the bottom(air vents down) and two others (one in each side - bigger now though!)I put a ply. baffle over the outlet to diffuse the air, still didn,t like that so made a small box and hooked in 3 6 inch ducts to direct the air to the sides of my garage so the moving air didn't bother my propane stove. My friend down the road said ,"You want to lift that where??". But we got it suspended from the rafters. I may have to duct the intakes over closer to my TS, Planer, and spindle sander. Right now I'm using 3 shop vacs hooked to a 30 gal barrel for dust collection. Dump the barrel in my dump cart and take it out and dump it on the field somewhere (200 Acres) r

Comment

Big Johnson,

Another thing you may want to look at that my wife had me make is a cedar frame for a 3' x 4' outdoor mirror. She wanted it for a back covered patio area that I mounted directly to the siding. At any rate, after it was said and done, it really looked good (if I can correct some computer problems I'll post a pic). She says that she has seen it in some of these HGTV / TLC shows (an "outdoor room") which gave her this idea and may generate some demand with the people who enjoy your work.

It only required three 1x4x6 cedar boards, enough 1/4" plywood for the backing, and the mirror. The extra board is used to cut an ogee profile on the router table then cut approx. 3/8" off on the saw for inlay. The cedar frame is given a 3/8" slot on the inside to accept the mirror. Biscuits and outdoor yellow glue hold the mitered corners together, with the 1/4" backing board firming everything up. Once the frame is glued up, I take the trim that I cut at the router table and saw, mitre it's corners and attach it inside the frame on top of the glass with brads only. A coat of golden oak stain and two coats of exterior polyurethane and it was good to go.

It has a little higher cost to build because of the price of the mirror. I think I spent $40 on the mirror and $15-$20 on the wood. Even with a cost of $60, I would think one would be able to make a $30 to $40 profit on it. The best part there is nothing extremely difficult about the process. And the cedar with a glossy urethane gives a very rich wood grain and knotty appearance.

I've also built adirondeck chairs ($40 cost) and recently did a picnic table with separate benches using treated pine 2x6's and 2x4's (left over from my deck), both off plans. I've had numerous people comment on all these as well. I've seen the chairs sell for $75 to $80 and the picnic table set, could easily get $100 to $150 (a cost of approx. $75). It seems most people during Spring and Summer months want outdoor type woodworking and there can be opportunities for this, particularly easy to produce, less costly to make. I don't sell anything because I only make things for my home and simply because it's a hobby and I'm afraid bringing the rat race to my one escape would spoil things. But if I did, I'd start with outdoor items like you have.

Good Luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

Working...
                  X