X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody still cutting wood?

I really like woodworking. It calmes my nerves. The best part of my morning used to be reading about some good jointery or glueing techniques while I had my morning coffee. Now I'm just getting all stressed out by reading about the Ridgid changes.

Originally posted by Vigs:
    I really like woodworking. It calmes my nerves. The best part of my morning used to be reading about some good jointery or glueing techniques while I had my morning coffee. Now I'm just getting all stressed out by reading about the Ridgid changes.
    I cut some wood on my 3612 last night, Shweeet.
    As for being stressed out about Ridgid, I'm more
    worried about what's for lunch, mmmmmmm, lunch.

[ 05-30-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: dsfraser ]

Comment

I have made 3 dust collector bags of saw dust this week... I will not sit and complain about Ridgid... Too many other things to do... Ridgid is just like everything else... Here today gone tomorrow... There are many other brands to buy...

My wife is having a garage sale right now and has sold over $300.00 of my wood items that I made... I am getting ready for a new JET planer/molder... Whoohoo...

Glad someone posted on woodworking for once...
      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Big Johnson,

I'd like to see what you're selling if you'd be willing to post pictures. It sounds like a good way to buy more tools
        Patrick

Comment

Here are some pictures of the things I make... I pretty much use one type of board which is #2 dog eared cedar... I glue and brad nail everything... I cross cut everything on my Makita LS1013 SCMS and rip my boards on the Ridgid TS2424LS...

I am the designer of most of my things, craftsman, marketer, salesman and everything in between... I still park my cars in my garage shop... All tools are on wheels and get moved frequently...

It is very enjoyable to listen to the radio after work and make money in my garage while learning to do things better and faster while improving my skills... I try to stay away from special things unless it is for family members because it takes up too much of my time on one hit wonders... I save the wild idea special things for my gifts at Christmas or birthdays…

My ideas are usually dreamed up by looking at magazines or just listening to people... I had 2 or 3 people ask about the flower chairs and it turned into about 50 of them so far... They are hot sellers... It takes about 2 boards to make one which = about $4.00 in wood... I sell them from $25.00 to $30.00 ea... I can make on in an hour from start to finish and stain it in 15 min, but I never make just one at a time because I gang cut most parts on the SCMS... I usually have very little scrap when finished...

Not to brag but I make deposits to my separate woodworking account about every day from selling stuff... This is where I get tool money when I need it... My wife says nothing!!! I really don’t consider this to be too hard of work… Keeps me off the couch and my hand out of the chip bag…

If you have other questions or would like to know more about the crafts, feel free to ask… I would like to hear others ideas too… We can all draw off one another…

Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

My son requested a book case be made for him while he's at AT. He said, "just bang some plywood together." I tend to be alittle pickier than that as we all do. does anyone have any suggestions for some measurements and would a sheet of AC ply work for it? I thought I could make a facing out of someting a little better. r,Toothpicks,sawdust, and happiness-I love my toys, er, tools.

Comment

Rick Leet,
              Pickup the latest "Wood Magazine"... There is a nice stackable book case in there... You can add to it as you need...

Comment

Big Johnson
                I'll do that. That is one of my subscriptions that have run out! LOML says she can't understand how I read all the magazines I get - All I can say is the pages are dog eared by the next day. I got the Grizz summer sale cat. and the pages are starting to fall out already not counting the spot I've drooled on it! Good luck with your crafts, they look fantastic! Rick

Comment

Big Johnson,

Thanks for posting the pictures! I've been thinking of stuff to make and sell and your work just gave me the kick in the pants I needed to go for it! What a great way to do something fun and make money for tools. Love that big N by the way...

Rick Leet,
                  I've used AC plywwod for shelving in the garage but I wouldn't recommend it for indoor use - it's pretty rough and warps easily. For a few dollars more you can get a decent sheet of plywood (luan, birch or oak) that would be easier join, sand and finish - plus it would look better.
                  Patrick

Comment

Thanks for the complements fella's... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Patrick or Rick, you are welcome to drop by my shop any time you are in the area... It isn't much but it sure is fun... I got cold diet coke during the day and cold barley pop when the saws are put away... We can kick around ideas and shoot the breeze...

If you are ever interested in dimension of any of my projects, feel free to ask... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Big Johnson,

Just wondering where you do most of your selling? Also, how do you determine pricing?

I too have been thinking about mass producing some things to sell so I can have more tool/wood money.

Here's an idea for ya...I visited the Texas State Railroad State Park over the holiday weekend. They are selling simple children's wooden chairs with the backs cut into train car shapes & painted in bright colors. One was a train shape, rail car, caboose, etc. If I remember correctly, they were selling for about $40 each.

Thanks,
                      Kevin

Comment

Rick

I make fancy (i.e. expensive, not college-type) bookcases, but take a look at this page for suggestions about dimensions.
                        http://www.plesums.com/wood/livingroom/bookcases.html

I suggest you go for birch plywood, even the lower "paint grade" birch from HD, rather than construction grade. Last time I checked the "E4" grade Birch was about $33 per sheet.

I made some birch bookcases 25 years ago, stained and varnished, and still enjoy using them.

Comment

I'm still cutting wood whenever I can.
                          Andy B.

Comment

Just finished a glider and some shutters for the house. Ridgid who?

modelmaker
                            Buy American....if you can

Comment

I'm still tring to bend some...... The firewood pile is getting bigger and bigger.....
                              Rob Johnson
                              Orange, Ca.
                              Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Working...
                              X