Respirator questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respirator questions

I have a few questions. I received a MSA (model 00817662) R95 respirator from HD for Xmas.
    • Is this sufficient for woodworking/sanding?
    • What are others using, if any?
    • Do you wear one for other jobs in the shop?
    • How often do you change the filters?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.…Pat

Re: Respirator questions

Originally posted by PMR413 View Post
    I have a few questions. I received a MSA (model 00817662) R95 respirator from HD for Xmas.
    • Is this sufficient for woodworking/sanding?
    • What are others using, if any?
    • Do you wear one for other jobs in the shop?
    • How often do you change the filters?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.…Pat
    The Wood Whisperer has a recent video about respirator use in the wood shop that I think all will find useful and answer many of your questions.

You can view it online here:
    http://thewoodwhisperer.com/87-dust-in-time/
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Re: Respirator questions

Spend some time learning about respirators and what they protect against. It's very important to learn before using. Looks like the MSA site has some training materials.

http://www.msasafetyworks.com/catalog/product1130.html

Some basics: when in doubt change the cartridges
      if you're using them while handling solvents, be sure you're using the correct ones and keep the respirator in a sealed ziploc bag when not using it, or put new cartridges on for every use.
      NEVER hang a respirator by the straps.
      Learn how to do a fit test on yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X