dust collecting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collecting

I have a new Wood shop and the wife is complaining about to much saw dust,, i need to know an easy way to hook up a shop vac to the ts 3660 table saw, i need the vac and saw to turn on and off at same time

Re: dust collecting

Several places (Sears, Rockler, Woodcraft) have wall mounted receptacles available which will activate an accessory (like a shop vac) when the main tool (like your TS3660) is turned on. I got mine from Sears:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools
    Just be sure you are sufficiently wired to handle both appliances on the same branch circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by yuntrips View Post
      Several places (Sears, Rockler, Woodcraft) have wall mounted receptacles available which will activate an accessory (like a shop vac) when the main tool (like your TS3660) is turned on. I got mine from Sears:
      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools
      Just be sure you are sufficiently wired to handle both appliances on the same branch circuit.
      Yep, this is probably the easiest way to go. I have one and it works well but I don;t use it on my TS & shop-vac. I have used it for my router and vac. Just make sure the switch is rated to handle the amperage of the TS and the vac. The Craftsman switch has outlets to switch on two accessories, the second might be a work light say.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

i use the same switch to activate my 1.5 hp dust collection system and my shop vac. when using either my TS or RAS, i employ both the shop vac and dust collector on each. got everything on one 20 amp circuit. couldn't work better.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If available for you vac, it would be wise to upgrade the filter to the smallest micron size available. This will keep the wife happy and when she's happy you're happy, Right? Right! This will keep the really fine dust out of the house and, more importantly, out of your lungs. +1 on the auto-switch for the saw and vac!!
          Later,
          Chiz
          https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

correction . not a ts 3660 , i have the 3650, my bad,,

Comment

Don't forget to catch the dust floating in the air. There are ceiling mounted units that do this and it helps to keep the fine dust from floating into the house. Red
              Red

Comment

I just got my new 3650 saw at the "woodworking show" this past weekend and it is not all assembled and adjusted yet. As I do this are there any tips out there about dust collection with this saw. I have a dedicated shop-vac, a chip separator and a vac start switch (Woodcraft or Rockler about $35 I think) so now would be the best time to add any enhancements that the forum members could suggest. thanks from David

Comment

If you have not put the TS together yet you might want to put a piece of
                  sheet metal between the cabinet and the legs to close off the bottom of
                  the cabinet. Then after (or before) you can cut an opening for a 4" dust
                  hose port. You can buy from Rockler (click for PDF) and other places
                  a pre-made piece to do just that. They are not expensive but you will need to
                  put off assembly for a couple days as this needs to go in during assembly.
                  For the item shown below you'll still need to put the sheet metal in and make a
                  square cut out sized for the hood. That part could be done now and then drop
                  the hood in when it arrives. Sheet metal would be better than a piece of plywood
                  as it is thinner so you can use the original bolts and it won't compress which would
                  cause the bolts to loosen. Also no fire risk with steel. If something hot should fall
                  inside with all that sawdust it could smolder for a long time before it turned into a full fire.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/R-TDHOOD.html

Penn State Industries is another place with a large solection of dust collection parts.
                  http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ta...solutions.html
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I just received my Penn Industries collector yesterday and I'll probably work on getting it connected to the TS3650 this weekend. What seem to have been your best methods for connecting such a collector to the bottom of the saw?

Comment

My saw is a Ryobi BT3100-1, which is similar to the TS3650 / TS3660 in that the bottom of the saw is open. I use a simple plate, with a hole with 4' PVC cut in, and the PVC hot glued into place... The 4" DC connector is then wrapped with a couple of windings of duct tape and shoved in for a tight fit... Mind you, that connector is a 4" to 2.5" reducer. I bought the saw preconfigured for 4"...

In all honesty, the best solution would be to have a true DC, AND a shop vac / cyclone / HEPA filter setup, DC going to the belly pan and main branch, shop vac going to the blade guard...

Comment

I just bought the JET AFS400 for my small basement shop (20' x 20'), and suspended it from the ceiling. This unit combined with my shop vac hookup to my power tools keeps the air dust free.

Comment

I've used a wireless remote controled outlet for years. Check Ebay. I like it because I can velcro the remote to eather the saw, planer, shaper, sander, or router. This is a battle that will last the life of the marriage though. At least mine is going on 44 years now. Good Luck.
                          Originally posted by kharris221982 View Post
                          I have a new Wood shop and the wife is complaining about to much saw dust,, i need to know an easy way to hook up a shop vac to the ts 3660 table saw, i need the vac and saw to turn on and off at same time

Comment

Working...
                          X