X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sears routers

I am wondering who makes routers for sears. I was under the impression that ryobi made sears routers, but today I was at a sears store and looked on the routers and found that they were made in the USA. Are these tools assembled in the USA made from parts being produced in China or what?

Ryobi has at least one factory in the United States, I believe in Anderson, South Carolina. If you have access to the full Sears number, the first three digits indicate the manufacturer. There are several for Ryobi, 315 and 316 come to mind.

Assembling a product in the United States, out of parts entirely made outside the country, explicitly does not qualify to say "Made in U.S.A.". This is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission.

Dave

Comment

i would have thought Ryobi too. Black and Decker does make some power tools for Sears as well though. Sears is not always clear and not always eager to reveal the actual manufacturer of their tools. what i have found to be effective if you have time and it is that important to you, go to searsparts.com. type in the model number of the tool in question and print its parts diagram. Then punch in the number of the most similar tool made by the other mfgr and print that diagram. then it is as simple as comparing the diagrams for similarities in both break down and part numbers.
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

There's a list of suppliers on the owwm site.
        My Craftsman router,315.275000, is made by Ryobi(not USA).
        Rob Johnson
        Orange,Ca. Craftsman Prefix Numbers
        Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I believe that the Ryobi plant in SC has closed.

Comment

I believe they closed one plant but still hve one over here in Senca, SC. At one time they had the whole show including a foundry. I am not sure abour today. They bought out yhe old singer company that made power equipment for Sears for years. There were two local plants when they bought it.

Comment

Made in USA or not, wouldn't recommend a Ryobi or Sears router to my worst enemy. Unless they've changed the design, the collet assembly was part of the motor shaft---so you couldn't change out a bad collet. On my Sears, and from many other reports, bits can start to slip out of the collet----not exactly a great thing.
              Dave

Comment

The collet is now not part of the shaft, in fact, I have both collets for mine, 1/4" and 1/2". The problem now is the shaft lock used when changing bits is made out of pot metal and breaks if you look at it cross-eyed. I'm waiting for my third lock assembley to come in from Sears Parts now.
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,Ca.
                Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I would, and have, bought a Ryobi Router. (for a perticular reason other than usefulness)
                  I have not, or will I, buy power tools from a seller that does not manufacture them. ie: Sears.
                  They have great tool boxes. Wrenches and sockets are decent. Anything with a electric motor...no way. I learned my lesson with Sears over 20 years ago.
                  Same goes for appliances. Anything with an electric motor with Craftsman, or Kenmore, is not a consideration. Period. I'll buy the name brand that makes it.
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I just found out that OWT out of Pickens, SC makes some of the sears routers. I found this out through a website called SafetyAlerts.com. There is a recall on some of sears routers for the "on" switch sticking in the "on" position. This website is really good at having the most current recalls on their website. Hope this may help someone when looking up safety issues.

Comment

A quote from a government web site:

OWT (FORMERLY RYOBI MOTOR PRODUCTS)

This appears to also be the former Singer plant as mentioned by SCWood.

Dave

Comment

That is the one it is in Senca, SC or Pickens County

Ryobi bought it quite a few years ago from Singer
                        They also had one in Anderson, SC but have closed it

Comment

The plant in Anderson,SC was remodeled and has been operating for a year or so now.Seneca,SC is in Oconee County,not Pickens County.The old singer plant in Pickens,SC made tools for sears also.
                          Dave

[ 04-01-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: dwillis ]

Comment

Working...
                          X