X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Chest pictures/plans/tips

i would like to build a toy chest for my son's room. i am looking to build something probably 3x2 (i suppose). i want a simple, but nice looking chest. basic tilt up lid, and possibly have feet.

i am basically looking for basic ideas and design cues. i will be staining when finished, so i will be using a stain quality wood. for cost, i doubt it will be solid or furniture grade wood, so i will need ideas for finishing the edges to hide the layers. suggestions on wood would be nice...birch, oak, maple, etc.

i have a table saw, miter saw, router, sander, etc. so shoot me you best ideas...i can possibly make it work with what i have. i am a novice woodworker to say the least.

Re: Toy Chest pictures/plans/tips

there are plenty of free plans on the web, do some searching and you'll find what you are looking for.

Check out Rockler for a nice hinge that won't let the lid fall, it's perfect for a kids toy chest.

www.rockler.com
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I made a few of these; they're not works of art but my niece and nephews like them. I got the plans from the show The Apprentice (Trump's show). It's basically an oak plywood box with the edges trimmed in oak and oak trim around the bottom. Pat
      Attached Files

Comment

Avoid the temptation to buy the veneered plywoods at HD and Lowe's. The quality has been sliding the past couple of years and is now in the ditch! Go to a local lumber yard (getting harder to find) and pay the addition $10 to $15 a sheet. You won't have problems with warping, delamination and overlapping veneer like you do with the Chinese, cheaper stock. Buy Canadian and US, if you possibly can, and you won't be sorry. If you're worried about botching up some expensive veneer stock, make one box out of a decent construction grade ply (B-C), pre-sanded, and use it for storage of tools or something else. Whatever you do, have fun with it and don't sweat the occassional goof. WW'ing is about working around the goofs and making them inconspicous.

Later,
        Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Working...
        X