X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3660 table saw

Where is the ts3660 table saw made, USA, or China?

Re: 3660 table saw

I'm pretty sure it's made in Taiwan...at least the fence is. I just got back from HD a few hours ago and I was drooling over the one on display.

Helder Cristovao
    www.feesha.com

Comment

Didn't like the first correct answer from 1/9/09?

The 3650/3660 is not made in the US, and hasn't been since ~2004. It's a safe bet to say that it's made in Asia....likely some parts come from China, some Taiwan.
      Last edited by hewood; 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

on the end of the box of my just purchased 3660 it said made inTAIWAN.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Didn't like the first correct answer from 1/9/09?

The 3650/3660 is not made in the US, and hasn't been since ~2004. It's a safe bet to say that it's made in Asia....likely some parts come from China, some Taiwan.
          Was it the 3650 back in '04?

Woulda loved to have a US built 3650 instead of a Taiwanese 3660

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            Was it the 3650 back in '04?

Woulda loved to have a US built 3650 instead of a Taiwanese 3660
            The 3650 has never been made here. The last US made Emerson saw was the 3612. In 2004 Emerson introduced the 3650, which was manufactured by TTI/Ryobi in Asia for Emerson/Ridgid.
            Last edited by hewood; 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Actually I'm not sure if there ever was a Made in USA Ridgid TS. My 3612, which was made when Emerson was still manufacturing the saws, says Built in USA on the nameplate. I could be wrong about this but that tells me that it was only assembled in this country with parts made from who knows where.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Actually I'm not sure if there ever was a Made in USA Ridgid TS. My 3612, which was made when Emerson was still manufacturing the saws, says Built in USA on the nameplate. I could be wrong about this but that tells me that it was only assembled in this country with parts made from who knows where.
                That could be Dave....dunno any of those details. What does your motor say?

Comment

I guess if I had to pick where in Asia my saw came from I would prefer Taiwan to ChiComm (sad attempt at rhyming). THe Taiwanese companiies have got their acts more substantially together than the mainland who are still in their infancy or early childhood with regard to building equipment for the commerial market. JMO
                  Later,
                  Chiz
                  Later,
                  Chiz

Comment

Scott, my motor is an Emerson so I'm going to say it is USA made. The nameplate on the motor is on the underside of the motor(what genius came up with that idea) so I had to lay on the floor with flashlight in hand in order read it. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I couldn't read all the fine print on the nameplate but what I could read I didn't see anything that said "Made in _____".
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Why would you want something to be USA made? I can see the point of the jobs staying in the US (at a high level), but if it costs you, the consumer, more, is that ok?

I know I might not be popular for this, but it seems to me that USA made means either a) very competent, and VERY expensive, or b) very large, and very poor quality.

Take as an example, cars. US made cars tend to be large, very simple technology (eg 3 speed autos), and not much thought given to durability. Look at say lawnmowers. Pressed steel, painted finish. How crap is that?Look at bicycles. You can buy a bike for $50. Buckle the wheel and it's $80 for a new wheel!

Much better is to have the things designed here, and made where labor is not so expensive. Take Apple computers. The best there is, bar none. Designed in California, made in China. Take just about any other computer. Made in China or Taiwan. Or at least the guts are.

When the US manufacturing worker wants to earn enough to buy the goods he is making, then the writing is on the wall for that business. Sad, I know, but that's the truth.

Comment

Actually I lean towards made in USA stuff because of the quality of parts (motors, etc). You are right, there is a price premium for that to happen. The reason I asked if the 3650/3660 was ever made in the US......it would make an already great value of a saw even better in my eyes.

As far as Asian made, Id prefer Taiwanese stuff first, which the 3650/3660 is.

Comment

Working...
                        X