X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal at HD

While wander about in the Tool area, I noticed a curious endcap of Freud routers. The sign read $99.95 for a Freud dual-base router. Imagine....a variable-speed dual-base (fixed and plunge) router for 100 bucks! It's the FT1702VCEK 2&1/4hp router. I went home and checked and sure enough, you can get the router at Amazon stores for around $250.

I'll give a full review of the router later, after I get my new phenolic plate for the router table. My first impression is good. I like the spindle lock arrangement. The base swap isn't the easiest thing in the world (the bit lock pushbutton gets in the way), but it's simple enough. It seems very comfortable in the plunge base, and the height adjustment is straightforward. The plunge depth lock is a bit unweildy since it's a lever to the side of the handle. You have to remove your hand from the handle to lock it. It's serviceable and locks down tightly.

The variable speed adjustment is at the very top of the motor housing. This might be a bit tricky in the table, but there's enough obvious feedback of motor speed from the noise of the motor that actually looking at the dial isn't really required. That being said, the motor seems quiet and smooth. I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet, so I'll reserve my opinion on that.

I still think this is a heck of a deal at $100. It was just a tad under $104 out the door for me here in VA. Your local sales tax will change that total just a little.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Deal at HD

That is a great deal. Way to go. Red
    Red

Comment

Sandy, this router combo has been on sale all over the place for the last month or so. Lowes has them for about the same price as HD. A number of places are offering them in the neighborhood of $120-$130. Last month, I picked up one from Heavy Duty Tools for $88 delivered to my door.

Still, $100 is a great deal on this combo. With the above the table bit height adjustment and bit changing ability, I plan on mounting the fixed base to my router table and pretty much using it as a dedicated router table router. I haven't had a chance to play with it all that much to confirm or disprove but I've read that the plunge base is lacking a little in the smooth operation department.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Sandy, this router combo has been on sale all over the place for the last month or so. Lowes has them for about the same price as HD. A number of places are offering them in the neighborhood of $120-$130. Last month, I picked up one from Heavy Duty Tools for $88 delivered to my door.

Still, $100 is a great deal on this combo. With the above the table bit height adjustment and bit changing ability, I plan on mounting the fixed base to my router table and pretty much using it as a dedicated router table router. I haven't had a chance to play with it all that much to confirm or disprove but I've read that the plunge base is lacking a little in the smooth operation department.
        Yeah, this is a router table router in my shop, too. The Dewalt still has what I feel is the best plunge mechanism out there. I like that the Freud comes with the height adjuster wrench in the kit with the router.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

i don't suppose anyone has a sku for this this item?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

i looked at Amazon, and saw some negative reviews for this kit.
            I would use it almost entirely in a table setup. anyone own this saw and have an opininion to agree/disagree with amazon reviews.

Also, Lowes.com has it for $99 also

Comment

The last place I would trust a review would be at Amazon. I think you'd find that the reviews on this kit are far more favorable when it was reviewed by others such as Wood Magazine to name just one. One of those reviewers at Amazon also stated they would never buy "any piece of junk by Freud" again. Their classification of Freud product as "junk" speaks volumes to me about their product knowledge in general.

Comment

I checked my local Home Depot last night, but I couldn't find any around. The customer service rep did a search for me, but the only Freud item they had were router bits.

However, I went to Lowes.com this morning, and there it was. I ordered one, it's free shipping too, so with my Massachusetts tax, it came to $105.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CEK&lpage=none

Happy shopping, I've been looking for a 1/2 inch collet router for my table for a while (I've been using an old Craftsman 1/4" collet router, which has worked great). Now it's time to start looking for deals on 1/2" collet bits!

Comment

This will accept 1/4" bits as well right?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Gerber View Post
                    This will accept 1/4" bits as well right?
                    Yes

Comment

Well I bit on this one. The reviews were a little shaky on the plunge but the router sold separately had great reviews. Besides it has to be better then one I have now. I have my grandfathers old router and its pretty old we'll leave it at that. (Sorry Papa) I'm just getting started in woodworking so I won't know if it sucks or not. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

Josh

Comment

I have two 1700 kits and I have had no problems with them . In my reserch I didnt find to many complants .I installed one on rockler allum. plate . the other I use more than my PC 890 free hand . you can always get a bad apple ,dont mean that all are. I wouldnt sell mine for 199.95 .

Comment

got my router combo friday. appears to be well made and the above the table bit changing will be a real plus when i mount it to the table saw. thanks to VAS for the original post.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I've had the FT1700 for a couple of years now and love it in my router table. The above table bit changes are so convenient, that I tend to use the FT1700 over my mighty fine powerhouse Milwaukee 5625.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                              I've had the FT1700 for a couple of years now and love it in my router table. The above table bit changes are so convenient, that I tend to use the FT1700 over my mighty fine powerhouse Milwaukee 5625.
                              Heywood
                              I have a question for you. On the Freud router I know the jack screw to raise or lower the motor is connected to the motor casting. Can it be removed?
                              I want to get a router that can be mounted in a holder that is built to hold round router bodies like the many PC, Bosch, and some of the newer Hitachi.
                              I think the freud would work if the jack screw assembly can be removed. I even thought of buying one and cutting the casting but I would like not to damage the router and since I haven't seen one up close and personal I don't know if the height adjusting screw can simply be removed or not.
                              Any help will be appreciated, thanks
                              Ed
                              Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X