No announcement yet.

can a ts2412 be upgrade to a ts2424?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a ts2412 be upgrade to a ts2424?

Can a Ridgid ts2412 can be upgraded to a Ts 2424 with the heric u lift, and all the ts2424 assicory storage bracts?Sorry about the spelling.
    Andy B.

Hello Andy,
    I believe that you can fit any of the TS2424 accessories to the TS2412 (including the fence). However, I think that the motor is different and that the TS2412 does not come with the micro-adjust trunnion.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\"<br />-Thomas Alva Edison

Andy, can you be more specific on what you hope to accomplish by upgrading? The things that you have mentioned such as the Herculift, and accessory brakets are available at HD or from Ridgid on-line and can easily be added to your 2412.

Biggest difference, in my opinion, is the motor. 2412 will ONLY run on 110V. The 2424 can be converted to run on 110V or 220V. Don't know that this would really buy you much, however, unless you had a real urge to run with 220V.

Only other big difference is the cast web wings. Fences are very similar and miter gages are the same. Does this help?

Instuction manuals, with parts lists, are available on-line if you really want to compare nuts and bolts etc.

Unless they've changed since I last asked, there is another difference in those motors. The TS2424 motor is an all bearing design, the TS2412 motor is at least partially a sleeved design.

Dave's right on the 12 vs 24. The TS2412 has bearing/sleeve setup, while the 2424 has a bearing/bearing setup in the motor.

As far as upgrading the TS2412 to the TS2424, you can do it, and all the parts will fit. The Herc-U-Lift and the hangers are available as accessories. Everything else you'd buy as parts. To look at some of the differences got to and look at the parts blow-ups.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Not to nick-pick, but there are advantages to running a saw (or anything else) on 220 if that is an option. If nothing else, the motor will run cooler, since the current (amps) is less (nearly half) for the same amount of work (watts). Heat kills motors.

At 15 amps, a 2424 motor running on 110 is pulling the max the usual household outlet circuit is wired for. You'll likely blow fuses or trip breakers if anything else is running on the same circuit (also common in household wiring). And, in fact, you'll probably not get all the power the motor has to offer.

Wiring a 220 circuit is not hard, paricularly if your shop shares the basement with your electrical panel and you have adequate service from the street. This may not be grist for the DIYer -- in most jurisdictions, a permit is required and only a licensed electrician can pull one -- but even if you have to pay for it, it isn't a big job.