Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts3660 startup squeal

Hi,
    I'm a beginning woodworker with a ts3660 saw, which I like very much. Got the Forrest WWII thin-kerf blade for Christmas, though, and after a few uses of the saw with this new blade, the saw now makes a loud squeal on startup for a half-second, then appears to run normally. My (uneducated) guess was that either the blade arbor or the belt was slipping on startup, and then catching up with the motor, which I figure can't be good either way.
    I have:
    removed the blade, cleaned the arbor and blade, replaced and retightened it. Still squealing.
    Tightened the belt by loosening the hex bolts and sliding the motor backwards, though I'm afraid to tighten it up too much. Still squealing.
    Anyone had this problem? Thanks in advance,
    Luke

Re: ts3660 startup squeal

Try putting another blade on the saw. If the squeal is not there any longer than the problem could be a bad WWII. Check the blade for flatness also.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This is from the 3650 but the 3660 manual should be pretty much the same with respect to mounting the motor. It's not much to go on but you need to have the motor adjusted such that when the blade is lowered below the table there is tension on the belt and also when raised to full height. You said you were afraid to put too much tension on the belt but the weight of the motor is what tensions the belt if its set up correctly.
      Attachment
      Attached Files
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Now that I read the instructions again--what was confusing me was the part about how if you squeeze the belt in the middle, the "motor should move freely." I thought they meant the motor should be able to SPIN freely, so I was afraid to make it too tight--do they mean you should have it tight enough that the whole motor should tilt up when you squeeze the belt? That would make sense, I guess. The problem started when I'd lowered the blade significantly to cut a low piece, so now I'm convinced.

Ponderings aside, I have yet to get home from work and actually try it. Hope it works.

Thank you, gentlemen. This forum is like i'd imagine tech support would be in heaven. Then again, I guess in heaven everything probably just works.
        Luke

Comment

Luke,
          I set up my 3660 so the motor tilts when the belt is squeezed in the middle. I agree that the instructions are a bit confusing in that section. I know I had to read that particular entry twice!
          John

Comment

I have a new 3660 also. I found that the pulleys on the motor and arbor were not in line. I suggest that you put a straight edge on the two and determine if they are in line. I think the fancy word is coplaner. Not a big problem to correct, just loosen the set screw on the motor pulley and move it in or out to line up.
            "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Tightened the belt a little more, and the squeal is gone. Thanks all. Think it's about time for me to get to work in, as opposed to on, my shop.
              Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Laflaone View Post
                I have a new 3660 also. I found that the pulleys on the motor and arbor were not in line. I suggest that you put a straight edge on the two and determine if they are in line. I think the fancy word is coplaner. Not a big problem to correct, just loosen the set screw on the motor pulley and move it in or out to line up.

This is also in the manual and is done when you mount the motor on the TS.

The 3660 is pretty much the same TS as the TS-3650, read the thread on TS-3650 Assembly Tips and read the manual TWICE cover to cover before you start assembly.

Some of it is written in such a way that it can be confusing. You need to think about what they are trying to tell you and translate it into something comprehensible, that may take more than one reading.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X