Jointer vs. Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer vs. Planer

Ok...I know that there are some other posts out there regarding the age-old question of planer vs. jointer, but I was wondering if anyone out there had a fresh perspective. I am going to buy Ridgid products, but I am considering waiting to see if the jointer ever goes on sale. The planer is currently being offered with a stand included ($70 value) which is a great deal.

There is a Delta factory-repair center here in Charlotte that has a refurbed Delta planer for $270, but it is an older model without the bells and whistles of the Ridgid.

Any thoughts on which order to purchase? Does anyone think a jointer sale is imminent? I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Jamie

Jamie
    Here is my 2cents worth, well maybe plus a penny or two more. I purchased the planer first. I have a limited budget for my toys so I too am trying to buy in some preordaned order that works for me. I will assume you have a good table saw. This said you can cut a near perfect (key word near) joint on the saw until you can purchase the jointer. I have done this and have had no problems. I'm sure many of our fellow WW may disagree. but that my thoughts anyway good luck on your purchase and which ever one you buy will be the right one for you, because you will be the one using it.
    Make big pieces of wood into the finest sawdust in the land
    Ciao [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have both. I bought the planer first . The planer can not fully straighten a warped board, it will change the thickness. The jointer can do both thickness and joint up to the width of the blades. The method is to plane a flat surface on a jointer/planer, then joint the end using the flat planed side against the fence. Now you can cut to the size you want and if you want to change the thickness you would use a thickness planer. I have the ridgid6100 and think it is great. I have a Ryobi thickness planer. I had no sucess with flattening using a thickness planer alone for stock that was bowed. That is why I bought the jointer. Hope this is of some help. You can joint using a router and edge guide or table with a shim on the outfeed side of the fence too as another method, or use a jig on the table saw to clamp the board to and use the fence as a guide.

Comment

Working...
      X