X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recessed adjustable shelving standerds

I want to install recessed standards on the sides of my shelf units( to a wall to wall intertainment unit) i want to use my router table its a cheap one) whats the best way to do this?

Re: recessed adjustable shelving standerds

Rather than wrestling large pieces across a router table, clamp the pieces to your workbench, clamp a straightedge to the workpiece with the appropriate offset for your router base, and run the grooves that way.
    John

Comment

thanks sawdust,
      ill try it that way. im working with cabinet grade laminated plywood here so i wont have alot of room for error, as this stuff is expensive. Im going to use a straight bit unless somebody has a better idea.. bring it on.

Comment

If you are using plywood for the shelfs, make sure to use a router bit
        that is sized for plywood.

3/4" plywood is not really 3/4" of an inch thick.
        (Same for 1/2" and 1/4" ply.)
        If you use a 3/4" straight bit it will be to loose.

Comment

One thing you could try, rather than trying to find the 'one' magic straight bit that matches the shelving plywood thickness is to build a dadoing jig for the router. There are probably tons of different ways to do this out there on the web (ones using guide bushings, template bits, patter bits, etc....)

Here's one that I got in my Woodsmith email tip today, that looks pretty good since it doesn't matter what size straight bit you use (as long as it's not wider than the plywood you're making the dado for!!)

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips.../15/sn/closer/

Good luck!

Comment

Larry,
            thanks for the heads up on that width thing, i would have screwed the pooch on that little miss calculation..
            ccusson, thanks for that attachment i went to it and that looks easy enough to construct, i got to say though im not sure why you trim the edges off. Is it just for truing the guide base.

Comment

ccusson,
              forget i asked that about the trimming part, i reread it and it clicked. thanks again for the attachment.

Comment

Our company actually sells the recessed type wall standards in a couple of different versions if you're interested. Due to the the design of the recessed standard, it may make your installation a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry86 View Post
                  If you are using plywood for the shelfs, make sure to use a router bit
                  that is sized for plywood.

3/4" plywood is not really 3/4" of an inch thick.
                  (Same for 1/2" and 1/4" ply.)
                  If you use a 3/4" straight bit it will be to loose.
                  What difference does it make what kind of shelf material he is going to use? Unless I am misreading it, he wants to recess the standards, not the shelf. The dado needs to fit the standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    What difference does it make what kind of shelf material he is going to use? Unless I am misreading it, he wants to recess the standards, not the shelf. The dado needs to fit the standards.
                    That's the way I read it too.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                      That's the way I read it too.
                      If he is going through the trouble of recessing the standards, hopefully he is doing the same for the fixed shelves/top bottom. If it were me, I would do it all on the TS.

To get the width right, make sure you use a sample to gauge it. The prefinished maple that I get ends up being a tad bit more than 23/32" or 15/32", so I end up going with a 3/4" or 1/2" stack to get it to fit right.

Comment

Working...
                      X