X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxillary Fence

What purpose does an Auxillarly fence serve? I've seen examples in books and the such-like, but the bottom-line is that one way or another the workpiece is still touching the auxillary fence...much like it would touch the fence itself.

So wherein lay the difference?

Thanks!

I normally use an aux. fence when cutting rabbets with a dado blade. It's higher than the Bies and has a T-slot that allows me to attach a finger board for a hold down.

I also use it when cutting zero clearance inserts.

I guess I use it anytime the Bies would be too close to the blade.

Bob R

Comment

I made an aux fence for my 3612. I put a t-slot channel in it and use it when I need to bury part of a molding cutter or dado blade and when I use featherboards although they will also hook to the regular fence.

I don't leave it on there all the time because you can't really use the fence measurments.

Comment

Not only is an Auxillarly fence useful for the previously mentioned uses, but I keep an Auxillarly fence on all the time as a european style fence. The end of the blade stops just before the arbor. Really eliminates the possibility of kickbacks. I have a second Auxillarly fence for the purposes mentioned above.
        I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

I see, makes sense. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, cant read what I type. My last post should have said the end of the fence ends a little before the blade arbor. I think most european fences end right at the arbor, but I have found that a little before, approximately 1 or 2 inches is a little safer and actually very easy to get used to. A splitter is still required of course.
            I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Thank you, GW!

Comment

Working...
              X