Where are the ww'ing TV shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the ww'ing TV shows

Got into woodworking just over a year ago and every Friday night I would set my DVR to record Wood Works with Dave Marks and The New Yankee Workshop on DIY that aired during the weekend. Between these two shows I learned a lot and always looked forward to what I may learn next. Over the last couple of months Wood Works disappeared from the DIY channel and The New Yankee Workshop aired less and less and now that doesnt seem to be on DIY anymore. I knew PBS aired The New Yankee workshop so I set my DVR to catch those. Well now that seems to be gone as well. I get several PBS channels and cant find Norm anywhere. I am shocked at PBS as I thought The New Yankee Workshop was a staple on that channel.

What happened to these shows? Were ratings that low, even for those channels? I did manage to find some woodworking related shows but they hardly compare (woodsculpting - not for me). I would love to know if anyone has any insight.

Re: Where are the ww'ing TV shows

Originally posted by Pez View Post
    Got into woodworking just over a year ago and every Friday night I would set my DVR to record Wood Works with Dave Marks and The New Yankee Workshop on DIY that aired during the weekend. Between these two shows I learned a lot and always looked forward to what I may learn next. Over the last couple of months Wood Works disappeared from the DIY channel and The New Yankee Workshop aired less and less and now that doesnt seem to be on DIY anymore. I knew PBS aired The New Yankee workshop so I set my DVR to catch those. Well now that seems to be gone as well. I get several PBS channels and cant find Norm anywhere. I am shocked at PBS as I thought The New Yankee Workshop was a staple on that channel.

What happened to these shows? Were ratings that low, even for those channels? I did manage to find some woodworking related shows but they hardly compare (woodsculpting - not for me). I would love to know if anyone has any insight.

Sounds like you really appreciate these shows on PBS. Have you ever given anything in support of the shows you enjoy and get so much instruction from?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Sounds like you really appreciate these shows on PBS. Have you ever given anything in support of the shows you enjoy and get so much instruction from?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

I have purchased several New Yankee Workshop videos and my wife is an annual supporter of PBS. And isnt watching the shows a form of support since that directly realtes to advertising revenue? One question mark would have easily gotten your point across, otherwise I feel I am being attacked for just asking a simple question.

Back to my question, does anyone know if these shows are off the air for good?
      Last edited by Pez; 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
        I have purchased several New Yankee Workshop videos and my wife is an annual supporter of PBS. And isnt watching the shows a form of support since that directly realtes to advertising revenue? One question mark would have easily gotten your point across, otherwise I feel I am being attacked for just asking a simple question.

Back to my question, does anyone know if these shows are off the air for good?

The NYW is not off the air. Season 21 started this month and has been airing on two PBS stations in the Philadelphia/Wilmington area. However, so far the first three have been rehashed episodes from years ago with a short intro by Norm.

No, I am not attacking you. Am I am glad to hear you support PBS. I don't know if the act of watching could be construed as contributing or supporting. The only reason there are the limited ads on PBS now is because they do not get enough in donations. To stay on the air they have been forced to take money from companies and allow them some ad time though you will notice the ads used are more subdued than you would find on commercial broadcast TV or Cable channels. Have you noticed that there is never a mention of price or sales or such?

Comment

I guess my advertising revenue comment would make more sense for a channel like DIY. It suprises me that DIY would drop either of those shows since they are not loaded with lots of other quality programming (how many times a day do they need to air Rock Solid, seriously). I wouldnt care when they aired thanks to DVR'ing, as long as they are on.

Could my local have PBS dropped The New Yankee Workshop? I would imagine the local affliates dictate whats on.

For now I will keep searching the listings. The web is also another good resource but I miss the ww'ing shows.

By the way, does anyone what channel did Wood Works first air on and when? I really dont much about the show other than what I saw on DIY and that was maybe 20 or 30 different epidoses. I saw an episode guide once and there were at least several seasons.

Comment

DIY also has changed. I am sick of Desperate landscapes, indoors outdoors, and Rock solid.... Why all the outdoor programs? Not a big Norm fan, the driving a "few" brad nails in " fine furniture drives me crazy. I miss David Marks the most.

Comment

at one time there was a nice selection on PBS, of how to shows, one I liked was Roy Underhill, in the "Wood wrights shop".

at one time I gave to PBS, but the jerks were always postponing the How to show, I would get some Saturday off and turn on the TV and get ready to watch the How to show and it would happen to be fund raising time and some show with some lady talking Menopause would come on the time slot, or something jsut as opposite in theam.

Personally why did they not use the time slot that would have had some interest to the normal viewer, such as some special on building sky scrapers or bridges or huge machine in mining or other, but at least some thing that would have appealed to the normal viewer of the time slot, also they would normally run the How to shows across from other normal interest shows such as the foot ball game or some other sports programing.

Personally I think if PBS goes down the tubes it is there own Idiocy in there choices for some of there programing.

Lately it seems to be the cooking channel at least ours,

on occasion one can fine "home time" and "this old house" and "ask this old house"
              but it seem to be aired more by chance than by design,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

In Austin I get PBS 2 over the air. It rotates TOH, Ask TOH and NYW daily, so you get one of these shows 3 or 4 times a day. I seem to get NY and TOH before they come out on the regular PBS. I don't know if this is a local phenom or not. It's TOH Monday, NYW Tuesday and Thursday and Ask TOH Wednesday and Friday.

Comment

I fortunately get 2 PBS channels, one from MA and one from NH. The NH channel carries both the New Yankee Workshop and the Woodsmith Show. Both are great for learning new tricks over lunch (my daughter will never know what life was like before DVRs!!)

Check out your local PBS channel here, and then see if you get either show. The New Yankee site doesn't have a schedule per PBS channel.

http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/index.html

Hope this helps.

Comment

No more Doctor Who. They are my enemy. Tear down the PBS.

Comment

About two months ago NYW was on several times a day. One night I turned on the DVR to watch the current weeks episode and it was a local high school soccer game instead (my dvr was set to record that time slot). That particluar PBS went from showing it 10 times a week to zero, right in the middle of a kitchen remodel series so I missed the last few episodes.

Comment

...one I liked was Roy Underhill, in the "Wood wrights shop"...
                        I liked Roy's show too, but it has not aired in this area for over 15 years. He is still on. I wrote (actually emailed) him not long ago and told him how I missed his show on WHYY and WNJS, two of our local PBS stations.

Yes, there is so much with cooking on now a days that sometimes it seems that PBS is nothing more than a cooking channel.

Comment

You can watch several shows at www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

Comment

Thanks for that URL CCusson!!!

Comment

You can watch a number of Roy's shows online here:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/schedule/video.html

Check the 2006 Sason, next to last episode #2612 Old Woodworking Machines
                              Beautiful belt-driven nineteenth century machines still make window sashes in this New York shop.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X