Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Grade Furniture ?????

Hello all,

My wife and I have a little cabin in the north woods of Wisconsin. We want to build some rustic end tables, coffee tables, headboards and maybe even a kitchen table. My thought was to use some finer joinery techniques but to use construction grade materials. This isn’t really so much for the cost savings but more for the over-all “look” of the finished product. Last summer I threw together some outdoor furniture (a couple utility tables) using some scrap construction material and it came out decent and functional. We kinda liked the look and started thinking that for the interior stuff we wanted to use the same materials but construct it a lot better.

So my questions are basically around what to be aware of. I know we need to let our wood dry completed before using for instance. What about using construction grade material with joiner and planer knives? I am assuming they will get abused pretty good.

Anything you can share with this newbie in terms of what to watch for and what tricks you may have used with something similar will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Construction Grade Furniture ?????

Well there are plenty of projects that you can build from a single sheet of plywood (tables, cabinets,
    cupboards, etc) and there are plans for using 2x framing lumber for tables and chairs and such.

I think if you do a little searching on the net you will find what you are looking for.

http://www.freeww.com/desks.html
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Well there are plenty of projects that you can build from a single sheet of plywood (tables, cabinets,
      cupboards, etc) and there are plans for using 2x framing lumber for tables and chairs and such.

I think if you do a little searching on the net you will find what you are looking for.

http://www.freeww.com/desks.html
      Hey Bob,

Thank you for your response. I think we are pretty good on plans and designs and what to build. The spirit of the question is more around wanting to know if there is anything special I should be concerned with when using new, dimensioned lumber. I'll be using all 2X4's, 6's and 8's purchsed right from the big box store.

Thanks again,
      Tom

Comment

Well, the main thing to watch for wherever you buy is trying to find decent looking boards in the pile of #2 lumber which most framing lumber is, and sometimes it could be less (#3). You're gonna need to eyeball every piece of dimensional lumber and watch for warped pieces of ply too.
        Lumber that has been stored indoors will be dryer for the most part but some places store most of their stock outside and only bring in enough to fill the isles so watch out for wet lumber after a recent rain.

Let the wood acclimate to your home for a week or more before you beginning to work it (depending on how wet it is). Stack it properly to allow for air circulation and that the boards are properly supported so they will not be deformed. If you are so inclined you can pick up a moisture meter for around a hundred bucks that will help you with this.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Tom,

I'm originally from northern Wisconsin (Hayward) and wish I had a cabin up there. I've always liked the look of natural furniture so that's what I build. I mostly use Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) construction lumber as it's the cheapest and best looking construction lumber we can get here in Florida.

If you'd like to see pictures of things I have built for our house here go to

http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckinpc

You can also view them on Tivo now if you have one.

You'll find a lot of stuff under kitchen remodel, Bedroom remodel, Our back porch, projects and others. May give you some ideas and feel free to email if you have any questions. As an example, here is a TV cabinet I just finished out of 2X4 and 2X6 SYP.

Attachment

Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Seehuetter Panama View Post
            Tom,

I'm originally from northern Wisconsin (Hayward) and wish I had a cabin up there. I've always liked the look of natural furniture so that's what I build. I mostly use Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) construction lumber as it's the cheapest and best looking construction lumber we can get here in Florida.

You'll find a lot of stuff under kitchen remodel, Bedroom remodel, Our back porch, projects and others. May give you some ideas and feel free to email if you have any questions. As an example, here is a TV cabinet I just finished out of 2X4 and 2X6 SYP.

Attachment

Attachment
            wow...thank you sir....this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking to do.....I am going to look closer when I have a few minutes tonight and I'm sure I'll be getting back to you with questions. Thanks for offering to help.

Regards,
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tom5151 View Post
              wow...thank you sir....this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking to do.....I am going to look closer when I have a few minutes tonight and I'm sure I'll be getting back to you with questions. Thanks for offering to help.

Regards,
              Tom
              No problem Tom. Take your time and I'll be checking in here fairly often. My lady friend and I are going to try to go "home" some time this summer. Maybe you'll have it all built by then and we can see it .

Chuck

Comment

Youve built some very nice items there Charles. Great job..

Kaleb

Originally posted by Charles Seehuetter Panama View Post
                Tom,

Attachment

Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bramclean View Post
                  Youve built some very nice items there Charles. Great job..

Kaleb
                  Thanks Kaleb. It's not fine furniture but it's functional, I have fun doing it and if you call it "rustic" no one looks to close

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X