X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I wait?

Hi I posted this question in the TS3612 entry but I think it got lost.

I have waited this long would I be smart waiting for the TS3612 or should I jump on the TS2424 with all the extra goodies they are throwing in, Mitre clamp, dust collector, Dado insert?
    Thanks again for all your help.

I have been waiting for the local Delta repair center's annual sidewalk sale which is tomorrow. Last year Reconditioned Delta contractors with 30" Bessmeyer fences went for around $600 .

I'm sold on the TS2424 but everyone tells me to wait and see what is available tomorrow. They say the Delta is a much better machine. I'm not convinced but my friends make a strong case for t-mitre slots, cast iron trunnions, solid extension tables, better fence, and Delta versus Sears Tablesaw reputation.

If I overcome the protest of my friends should I buy the TS2424 now or wait fot the TS3612?
    --------------------
    Rev Ed
    Rev Ed

RevEd,
    You probably know what I am about to say already. I would still go with the Ridgid. Reason, I don't think Delta really has that any more to offer. The solid extensions, in my opinion aren’t necessary. The 30" fence wouldn't be enough to sway me either. If this were a concern, I would wait for the TS3612 or slide the fence rails on the TS2424 to the right. The fence has locked straight every time for me. I have put a square on my fresh cuts many times and they are right on. Bottom line for me is, My TS 2424 makes as good quality of cuts as the other guy’s and has never let me down. It has plenty of power, runs so smooth you can stand a nickel on the table and it won't fall over. I would recommend wiring it to 220v if you have the opportunity. I have no regrets. If I were to ever buy another tablesaw in the future providing I was a good enough woodworker and could justify it, I would buy a very nice cabinet saw. That is a different league. Right now I need portability to move it around my shop, as my projects require me to roll out other power tools. The Herc-u-lift is wonderful. As fast as you can step on the pedal, you are one your way moving the saw.
    You will need to do what is best for you and the projects you intend to build, but once again my opinion, the Ridgid was right for me…
    Hope you get setup soon, it sounds like you are eager to make some dust...
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

RevEd---please buy a saw tomorrow--one way or the other

But to add to your confussion---if you can get a Delta contractors saw, with cast iron wings, AND a Biesmeyer---that's a heck of a deal. IMHO, the Rigid is every bit as good as the Delta, and with the extra goodies, with the 2424, is a good deal.

However, I have never been a fan of OEM fences, on Rigid or many other brands---You would be much happier with a good fence to start with. Whether the fence is on a Delta or Rigid, that's up to you. I added a Biesemeyer to my Emerson-built Craftsman (early version of the 2424) two years after I bought it and have been very happy.
      Dave

Comment

Well all the Delta's were gone. All they had left were left and right tilt Unisaws for $1295, which is a good price. However after tax and a movable base you are very near $1500. Way too much money to make saw dust for me.

Now I'm back to my main question TS2424 or the new TS3612? I know some of you are saying buy anything and put us out of our misery [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Please guys give me a break I'm just trying to get what is right for me.
        Thanks for all your time and your patience!!!
        And your help and suggestions!! Thanks
        Rev Ed

Comment

RevEd---you just take your time buying---(hope Rigid doesn't go out of business before you buy

Don't blame you about the Unisaw---a bit steep to start off. I would still lean towards the 2424. It's a full-sized, standard contractors' saw---it would leave you pleanty of room for "growth", until that day when you're (or I for that matter) are ready for a Unisaw or Powermatic. While the 3612 may have a smaller price and be easier to move around, it will have some limitations.

As I've said before, I've had the earlier version of the 2424 for 13 years and still find it more than adequate for all my uses. Also,when it comes to parts or add-ons, you'd find more designed to fit the 2424.
          Dave

Comment

RevEd,
            I know exactly how you feel about buying the saw. It for some damn reason bothered me a bunch. I tossed and turned between half a dozen different machines, bothered all my local woodworking friends till they would nearly run if they seen me coming. I finally realized that they were all had there great points and had to find the one that would best suit my needs. That’s when I decided on the Ridgid. Once again, I won't reiterate what I said up above. But my opinion is that it was money well spent. I won't disagree with Dave that there are better fences out there but it is most certainly something I can grow into in time. I am by no means an expert woodworker but the Ridgid fence will get me started... Maybe in a few years when I know what I want and my skills improve I will upgrade a bit. Till then this old girl will suit me just fine... Ok, I'm getting windy now... I will leave you be...
            Don't think your bothering anyone here. That’s what they are here for... If they get tired of reading, they have the right to move on... I like reading questions and seeing others ideas and answers...
            By the way I built 1/4" plywood covers and Velcroed them to the back of my TS2424 today to get more dust in the vac... This thing is working sweet now... Light dust on top the saw and that's it...
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

RevEd, I agonized over which saw to buy for the longest time also. I was torn between the Jet, Delta, Grizzly, or Ridgid contractor saw. At one point I was even seriously considering the Grizzly cabinet saw but mobility and power usage issues changed my mind. I finally bought the TS2424 and haven't regretted it for a moment. I believe that once you move up from the direct-drive Universal motor league to the contractor's saws most of those offered are more than adequate. The issue of an after market fence aside, every saw I considered would have been more saw than what I need to do the projects I'm interested in. The Ridgid, with the HercuLift thrown in, made my decision final. The miter gauge clamp and dado head insert were nice additions too. Dollar for dollar you'll be hard pressed to beat Ridgid's offering. Buy the Ridgid and have some fun!
              Ev

Comment

I don't know how helpful you're going to find this, but I can't resist jumping in.

If the question is: should youi buy a 2424 now or wait for a 3612, this group isn't going to be much help, since I don't think any of us has gotten within hugging distance of a 3612. As near as I can tell, this new saw is NOT just a 2424 with a different set of rails, but rather a different enough machine that it needs to be explored and played with before one can form a reliable opinion about it. It could be better than a 2424 or not as good, but you won't know which for a while.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd change the question, to "Is the 2424 all the saw I'm going to need for the near future?" In my opinion, the answer is an unqualified yes. So I'd buy it while the buying is good.

Comment

Working...
                X