best paint to use for cabinet grade plywood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best paint to use for cabinet grade plywood

[quote=bondsman;202473]Garager, i dont have the tools to spray so i was going to brush on the paint. thanks for the info. i appreciate it.
    [quote]
    Spraying isn't in my skill set, although I have some tools. It also doesn't fit in my building. I can't accomodate it. So I, too, brush.

My wife, dear thing, also wanted the library units painted, But instead of using expensive cab grade ply, I used construction A/C ply. Filled the few blems and then primed and sanded twice. Finish coats of good water based interior paint were applied, three coats, each sanded very fine.
    I avoid brush marks by running a paint roller over the work after spreading with the brush. The last coat is sanded all the way to 1000 grit automobile wet or dry paper. A thin coat of paste wax, well burnished, made the whole thing good.

Just my thoughts.

Happy painted furniture!

d.

Comment

hey folks, just wanted to add a tidbit to my last post on this subject.
      as you recall the other day my wife worked very hard with the painting of this project. It turns out as much as the SW guys know they do make mistakes. the guy sold my wife some oil based paint that clearly states you "must" add tint, well when you dont add the tint all you have is a 17.00 quart of oil based primer. so all of my wifes hard work that day consisted of putting on approx. 5 layers of primer. NO longer a funny topic at the homestead.....

Comment

Originally posted by bondsman View Post
        as you recall the other day my wife worked very hard with the painting of this project. It turns out as much as the SW guys know they do make mistakes. the guy sold my wife some oil based paint that clearly states you "must" add tint, well when you dont add the tint all you have is a 17.00 quart of oil based primer. so all of my wifes hard work that day consisted of putting on approx. 5 layers of primer. NO longer a funny topic at the homestead.....
        Oh my gosh....you're kidding...ouch.....yeah we used oil based primer but the top coat was latex and did not need to be tinted. It took us a total of 4 coats ( 1 primer and 3 top coats) to finally get the true color.......

good luck on the rest of the project......

Comment

I find that hard to believe. Tint base is topcoat paint that includes the gloss or flattener additives, as well as all the driers and resins needed for the paint to cure properly. The only thing added is color pigment. It comes in different shades (ie, different amounts of white pigment) to reduce the amount of pigment needed for darker colors, etc. If the color is good and the gloss is what you want, you should be good to go. I have used tint base by itself before and not had a problem.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

well gofor,
            im no professional, i can only go by what the guy at SW told me and what my project looked like. there was no semi gloss to the finish and your right about the color it was more of an off white, very off, The SW guy told me.

Comment

I hate SW.

If I had caught you sooner I would have suggested Benjamin Moore Impervo paint. That stuff flows so well you could put it on with a broom and get a good finish.

My issue with SW is more of a problem with the way they run their stores. Their products are good, but pricing is high unless you are fortunate to keep a manager in a store long enough to get to know him or have an account that buys a lot of paint.

Comment

well gofor,
                im no professional, i can only go by what the guy at SW told me and what my project looked like. there was no semi gloss to the finish and your right about the color it was more of an off white, very off, The SW guy told me.
                In that case, I would go back to the store and ask that they make it right. The "professionals" at SW should have ensured you did not buy a tint base that was not the semi-gloss that you were looking for, and not the correct color. SW charges high prices, supposedly in part because the professional staff is there to assist you. Sounds like you got no assistance, as well as a check-out clerk that didn't have a clue about the business.

Even the clerks at HD will question you if you try to grab a can of their tint base, as opposed to the finished product colors.

Sorry you got bad service, but if they don't make it right by supplying the correct paint free of charge, I would find a different place to do business,

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

thanks go,
                  thats exactly what i ended up doing. the manager there was very quick to rectify the situation. he refunded me the expense of the "none tinted" paint and then gave me the can that i needed. its turning out ok as of now the color looks good so far and i am pretty pleased with my work. ive made mistakes on it but i wont point them out ill just try to keep from the same ones next time. pics will come soon...

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                    I hate SW.

If I had caught you sooner I would have suggested Benjamin Moore Impervo paint. That stuff flows so well you could put it on with a broom and get a good finish.

My issue with SW is more of a problem with the way they run their stores. Their products are good, but pricing is high unless you are fortunate to keep a manager in a store long enough to get to know him or have an account that buys a lot of paint.
                    I can understand that complaint. I ran about 20k through them my first year and now maybe about 5k a year. I get a gallon of cover max for 11 and the retail, walk in off the street price, is over 30. I have seen many managers through the store, but everyone of them still recognizes me. I guess it all depends on what you are doing and how much you buy

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                      I can understand that complaint. I ran about 20k through them my first year and now maybe about 5k a year. I get a gallon of cover max for 11 and the retail, walk in off the street price, is over 30. I have seen many managers through the store, but everyone of them still recognizes me. I guess it all depends on what you are doing and how much you buy
                      One of my problems is that I'm a jack of all trades. I may paint for 6 months and then not touch a gallon for the next 6 months. It just depends on what work I happen to be doing. The other problem that I have with them is that most paint stores will give you a discount just for looking like a painter. They wouldn't budge on pricing the last few times I walked in.

We pretty much have an understanding. I hate to buy from them and they hate to sell to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                        One of my problems is that I'm a jack of all trades. I may paint for 6 months and then not touch a gallon for the next 6 months. It just depends on what work I happen to be doing. The other problem that I have with them is that most paint stores will give you a discount just for looking like a painter. They wouldn't budge on pricing the last few times I walked in.

We pretty much have an understanding. I hate to buy from them and they hate to sell to me.
                        Im pretty much the same way you are. I may run a large volume through them for a few weeks and then the next few weeks I dont step foot in the store, but they still hook me up and they are still the best company I do business with. I guess it just depends on the store.

Comment

Working...
                        X