X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best paint to use for cabinet grade plywood

Before anybody says, Why are you painting cabinet grade Birch veneered plywood? i have two words for you, MY Wife... ok so anyway she wants the project i am working on, a 12ft. wide wall to wall built in intertainment center, to be painted white. I want to use a good paint that will last and look good. Should i prime it first, will paint soak into this type of material. Tell me what you think.

Re: best paint to use for cabinet grade plywood

Originally posted by bondsman View Post
    Before anybody says, Why are you painting cabinet grade Birch veneered plywood? i have two words for you, MY Wife... ok so anyway she wants the project i am working on, a 12ft. wide wall to wall built in intertainment center, to be painted white. I want to use a good paint that will last and look good. Should i prime it first, will paint soak into this type of material. Tell me what you think.
    Hello,

My wife and I finished a very similar project last year. It was 12 feet of built in bookshelves. We used cabinet grade birch as well and painted it a very dark brown (coffe) color. We did prime it with a high grade oil based primer. We used oil base instead of latex because the water based primer would likely make the raw wood swell.

We finished with a high end, brand name, latex paint designed for painting furniture and it turned out great. It took a few coats to get the true color but it looks great and it's holding up really well so far.

Comment

There are dozens of good interior paint, but to have a success with it, it comes down to the preparation of your project. A good primer/sealer, once again there are many, but it comes down to how you do the job. Spray, then sand, then wipe down, spray then sand, then wipe down, until you get to your final coat. I believe your best results are with spraying, but if you use another method for applying your paint,is fine also, just remember to sand in between coats, for that smooth glossy look/feeling...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, i dont have the tools to spray so i was going to brush on the paint. thanks for the info. i appreciate it.

tom5151, you said you used good high end stuff, care to share what brand or store you purchased from. thanks to you as well for your input.
        i need all i can get..

Comment

Garager, i dont have the tools to spray so i was going to brush on the paint. thanks for the info. i appreciate it.

tom5151, you said you used good high end stuff, care to share what brand or store you purchased from. thanks to you as well for your input.
          i need all i can get..
          sure....we went to Sherwin Williams.......spent a lot of time talking to the guy there. Our experience has been that they can give a little better professional experience than we seem to be able to get at the big box stores.......

Just let me know if you have any other questions.....I'll be happy to share what I have...

Comment

I built the TV stand in my living room out of left over birch cabinet grade wood I had and keeping with the theme of not spending any money I just painted it (no primer) with the paint I used on all my base boards through out the house. It turned out great (IMO anyway) and the paint seems to be holding up great despite not priming. I only did one coat. Also, a note on Sherwin Williams, when I first started out in this business, I spent over 100k with some suppliers/stores the first year and they still didnt act like they gave a damn about me. Sherwin Williams wanted to help me from day one and was the only company that seemed to care one bit.

http://www.s-10.org/house/tvcabinet/P9120472.JPG

Comment

i need all i can get..

If you cant or dont want to spray I would roll it if I were you. Even though the foam rollers that are out there on the market arent exactly professional tools, they work great for this. If you want the best possible and durable finish you should use oil based paint. The cabinets in my house were white when I bought the house and I didnt have the money to replace them. I wanted them to be an off white so I painted them. Took the doors off and sprayed them outside, but used a foam roller with oil base on the actual cabinets and you cant tell they werent sprayed. The cabinets look like they are a factory finish not painted.

Comment

thanks futuresweets10, ill look into that method it will go faster if nothing else but i do want it to look as good as i can.
                tom5151, thanks for getting back with me on the company, i have alocal SW store here locally and thats who i will talk to i really appreciate the info. If i ever get this thing done ill try to post some pics...

Comment

i need all i can get..
                  Hmmm. Sounds like this is your wifes idea right? Guess that means the old...

Well Honey you wanted it painted right? I had to get that air compressor, and HVLP sprayer to do that you know...

Comment

thanks futuresweets10, ill look into that method it will go faster if nothing else but i do want it to look as good as i can.
                    tom5151, thanks for getting back with me on the company, i have alocal SW store here locally and thats who i will talk to i really appreciate the info. If i ever get this thing done ill try to post some pics...

Good luck....I think out of the entire project the thing that consumed the most amount of time was painting. We had to paint the frame and 20 shelves with 3 coats to get the true color.......take your time and I'm sure it will turn out great.

Comment

Back in Atlanta, a few years ago, the Sherwin-Williams fellow talked me into a $25 brush and S-W SuperPaint to paint our new interior doors...what a difference from what I had used previously! Best tip he gave was to 'lay' the paint on...don't brush back and forth...wasn't sure what he meant until I tried it. Fantastic finish!

Fast forward a few years and here in Austin, I wanted to match the 4 year old trim paint in our house. Went to Monarch(TX firm connected with PPG, I believe) and got the same paint that was originally used...can't say the quality is the same as SuperPaint but it's OK. Tried using a foam roller on some shelves and am not too crazy about the result...bubbles, etc. I'm going back to the high-end brush route to finish. DW wants a huge wall unit in the bedroom, so, I would be interested in your results!

BTW, the Atlanta doors were from Masonite, unfinished, so I primed with oil-based primer and finished with latex SuperPaint. The Austin shelves are preprimed MDF and the Monarch paint is alkyd.(VERY slow drying.) Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 10sCoachRick View Post
                        Back in Atlanta, a few years ago, the Sherwin-Williams fellow talked me into a $25 brush and S-W SuperPaint to paint our new interior doors...what a difference from what I had used previously! Best tip he gave was to 'lay' the paint on...don't brush back and forth...wasn't sure what he meant until I tried it. Fantastic finish!

Fast forward a few years and here in Austin, I wanted to match the 4 year old trim paint in our house. Went to Monarch(TX firm connected with PPG, I believe) and got the same paint that was originally used...can't say the quality is the same as SuperPaint but it's OK. Tried using a foam roller on some shelves and am not too crazy about the result...bubbles, etc. I'm going back to the high-end brush route to finish. DW wants a huge wall unit in the bedroom, so, I would be interested in your results!

BTW, the Atlanta doors were from Masonite, unfinished, so I primed with oil-based primer and finished with latex SuperPaint. The Austin shelves are preprimed MDF and the Monarch paint is alkyd.(VERY slow drying.) Good luck!
                        When you use a foam roller with oil base it does give a ton of bubbles, but as it dries it levels its self out. I have never gotten bubbles with latex though.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                          When you use a foam roller with oil base it does give a ton of bubbles, but as it dries it levels its self out. I have never gotten bubbles with latex though.
                          Thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong. I've got 5 more shelves to paint so I can try various methods. Kind of silly since these are shoe shelves and will be only 7" apart and covered with shoes! BUT, must look good for DW! I thought about spraying but it's windy every day here and I don't have access to a shop(thought about a 'paint booth' in the garage but I'm not that dedicated!). I've never tried HVLP...is there MUCH less overspray compared to 'regular' spray...I sprayed some louvered doors in ATL and the stuff floated everywhere!

Comment

tom5151,
                            im laughing right now cause my wife just called me. As you will recall it was her idea to paint this monster, in saying that she started this morning about 7:00 a.m ( her day off) well so far she said after two coats of primer and 3 coats of paint she still isnt finished at 4:45 p.m.. i just said to her keep up the good work dear it will quit soaking in sooner or later. ill be sure and post pics when done

Comment

I might be a little late with this hint but here it is anyway. When painting with a brush consider your light source and the way it will hit the cabinet doors. If the light is on the ceiling try to make the last tip-off vertical. If you make it horizontal and there are some brush marks they will show up as a shadow. Will anyone see it or say anything if they do? Probably not. But you will know.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X