X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings of a Novice

Tonight I worked on my first major project ... the beginning of my garage workshop. I ordered the plans from New Yankee Workshop and am modifying them based on my budget. Getting into a project like this is a good learning experience. You begin to see why good tools, and the right tools, make the job easier. I was very fortunate to get my first tools from a friend at a real bargin. They needed some cleaning up and a few parts replaced but there could not have been a better deal around for a beginner. After tonight I know I am saving up for the TS3612. My current saw leaves a lot to be desired but I am thankful to have one to learn with. Considering I am new to woodworking my projects are going well. It is all a learning experience and great fun. I love to watch New Yankee but until you roll your sleeves up and dig in you really can't appreciate all that goes into a project. I'm having fun learning from my mistakes and increasing my skills. I'm also glad I stumbled accross these forums while researching table saws. You guys are a great source of information.
    Alan
    My Shop

Good luck Alan!

You're right about the difference between watching an experienced craftsman like Norm and doing the stuff yourself. There are so many, seemingly minor, tasks that can turn into real obstacles. If there wasn't a little challenge, though, I suspect it wouldn't be as gratifying when you complete a project. That's what makes it fun.

Comment

I've always been amazed at how many parts it takes to build what began as a 'simple' project. One of the first projects I tackled was a 4 drawer file cabinet. When my wife and I were talking about what she wanted it didn't seem like it would consist of much more than 10 or 12 pieces of plywood put together with simple joints. That was before I got elbow-deep into the project. At one point I had wood panels spread out all over the garage and began to wonder if I was EVER going to get the thing built. But perseverance and power tools go a long way toward overcoming any woodworking disaster you'll dream up. Remember, just keep plodding along and you'll finish eventually. BTW, help is never far away and can be found through this forum or many of the other woodworking sites on the web.

I just hope you realize what an addictive hobby you've began. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ev

Comment

Well, I pretty much finished the first part of my garage workshop last night. This "first" project was full of firsts ... the first drawer I have built, first cabinet doors I've hung, first time I've actually built something from a plan It was a lot of fun. I ran out of breath though saying "pachew" with each brad I hammered ... I think a real compressor/brad nailer would be less wear-and-tear on my lungs than just making the sound effects Of course it is nowhere near perfect but I sure learned a lot and enjoyed learning it. My wife has been impressed, and supportive, which makes it all that much better.
        Alan
        My Shop

Comment

Alan--good luck on your adventures. I think you're starting the right way----building shop/garage projects are great learning experiences. Allows you to make mistakes and learn from them. Also, from what I've heard, your savings towards the 3612 are worthwhile---I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done, as soon as HD sets one up.

Been woodworking, off and on since I was a pre-teen---always still amazes me when I can turn a stack of wood into a piece of furniture. Have fun and be safe.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X