X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Desk Needs A Chair

I am just finishing a long term project of building a Mission Style Roll Top Desk. I am wondering if any of you life long woodworkers are aware a set of plans for an office chair that would be congruent with this desk. Seems to me that it might work to use a Stickley type of chair with a lot of tenons and mortises. It also seems to me that the base of the chair, hopefully a five caster design would be purchased from a vendor and the chair part built in my shop. If your memory conjures up anything that would be helpful I would appreciate it. Leads on both a set of plans and a source for the bottom mechanism would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by skocars; 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM.

Re: My Desk Needs A Chair

Can't help on the wood part, but many of the office chairs from the likes of Office Depot etc have mounting plates that the "leather" chair is fitted to. Just buy one for small money (maybe even a used or scratch and dent one, since you dont care about the seat) and throw the seat away.

Or have I missed the point?

Comment

I've seen this wooden five caster base http://www.unfinishedfurnitureexpo.com/w5dechba.html. There's sure to be others available but the trend, of course, is plastic/metal rather than wood. It should be fairly easy to adapt most any Mission style chair to that base.
      John

Comment

If you have a Frys Electronics locallly they sometimes have sales or even I have bought a couple off ebay and craigslist that were rock bottom cheap..

Comment

Thank you all for your informative posts. SawDustNStitches hit right on the head for me. I will probably order that very chair base when I get around to this project.

Comment

Working...
          X