Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Saw Question

Hello All,

Finally got my 1 1/2" inch cedar. Now I have another question. When making fairly precision cuts (ones that can't be handled by the table saw), I guess a jigsaw is pretty much out for that level of thickness -- correct? Is this where having a band saw would be advantageous? Just seems that using the jigsaw leaves a fairly uneven path through the wood. Also, my particular jigsaw seems to 'splint' the wood also. So, should I invest in a band saw to help reduce my problems?

Thanks again all,

Pete

[ 12-08-2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: die_kruzen ]

I had that same problem with my old jigsaw, the final straw was making a curved pine headboard that was 1.25" thick, my old jigsaw made a mess and cut at a significant angle (not the 90* I wanted). I solved the mess with the EB4424 and then bought the R3120 jigsaw. That saw is excellent at cutting smooth strait and perpendicular cuts. I have made a 1.25" thick cherry cutting board with 6" radius corners that turned out perfectly

Comment

I bought my bandsaw when all of the "Old Grey" tools were being sold on clearance ($225 ).
      At the time I really didn't have a NEED for the saw, it was just too good of a deal to pass up. That line always seems to work for my wife, who is a clearance sale maven!

Anyway, I love having this tool available and out in the shop, it's amazing how simple it can be to just "knock that off over at the bandsaw" as his Normness would say, or crank out a push stick from cutoffs that is exactly the size & shape you need, or... well you get the idea, it's about increased versatillity

If you've got the cash & the space go for it and buy one, but buy a good one and not one you'll be replacing down the road. The next step up from the BS1400 with the riser kit is a $1000+ high HP monster that I'm not going to be ready for for some time IMHO, so base the decision on your wants, needs, & space

Comment

Hello all and thanks for the responses.

wbrooks -- do you find that you are able to still make straight cuts even when you are at the edge of a board? For most of the cuts, the board is about a half of an inch wider than the actual cut. So, for a good portion of the cuts, only one side of the jigsaw is actually on the wood. Now, thinking about it - I could put a similar piece of on the other side and that would probably make the cuts straighter. However, that sounds fairly time consuming.

ChefHDAN -- I agree with your comments. To me, it seems like the bandsaw is a very versitale tool. At this time, if I AM able to get a bandsaw it would proably not be a high end one. It might be difficult to justify it's cost with my needs. Interested in potentially making the jigsaw work. However, it appears to me that either I get a bandsaw now, or get it later.

Thanks again everyone,

Pete

Comment

It can be a bit tricky when you are starting a real shallow cut but once you get it started it cuts fine and square, just keep pressure on the 1/2 of the plate that is on the wood. The base of the R3120 wide enough to make stable edge cuts

Comment

Pete,
            What blades are you using??? Have you tried the Bosch Progressor Blades ??? These blades have different sized gullets along the blade with varying TPI to greatly enhance the performance of the saw. If you're getting alot of wander it's most likely the rate at which you're trying to cut, which is deflecting the blade. You mention precision cuts, that can't be done by a TS, are you cutting as close as possible with the TS & squaring the corners with the Jigsaw??? I make very few cuts with the jigsaw. Much like a circular saw, it only really sees use when a project is too unwieldy for the stationary tools. Give the progressor blades a shot, international tool .com or woodworker.com are great sources. Good blades & good practiced technique will most likely get what you're after

Comment

ChefHDAN,

Well, to be honest my jigsaw isn't a very good one. It's a Craftsman that probably was around the $50 mark. Also, I am using the blade that came with it -- so I imagine it's a fairly cheap one. Today I am going to the local HomeDepot and look at both the jigsaws and bandsaws. If the Ridgid, Bosch, etc jigsaws appear to be that much better than what I have, I will probably get a new one and a better blade.

I cannot use a TS at all for these cuts. They need either a bandsaw or jigsaw. The cuts are just to 'tight' or rounded for the TS.

Thanks for the posts all.

Pete

Comment

Pete,
                Take a look in the yellow pages for a authorized tool repair place. I got my dewalt jigsaw at the Dewalt repair place for $75.00. It normally lists for around $140. It was factory reconditioned to near new state, and had a 1 year warranty. For as much as I use it there has never been a problem. I bought the dewalt when my father demanded the return of his before I moved to MD. Seriously, the blade will make much more of a difference, a 5 pack of good blades will be less than $10 and you can bide your time for a sweetheart deal on the saw!!!

Comment

BTW the old man's jigsaw was a craftsman from the 70's & it worked like a dream!

HDAN

Comment

Hey Pete,
                    One thing to try would be a better blade in your jig saw, a good Bosh blade would make a lot of diff. I have a cheap crapsman also and got a good blade and the diff is astonishing. Night and day.

Also, I just got my first band saw. A Grizzly G0555, 14" ultimate band saw. Thats what they call it. I did'nt see any need for a big hurckin 16" band saw. I have 13 1/2" depth and 6" highth cutting capacity. If I find I need more,I can add a spacer block and go up to 12". And it was only about $433 and change with shipping.

A like they said up above, it's just nice to have in my collection. Nice to be able to just step over and "knock it off", I beleive he said. Quick and simple. I just used it last night making a box joint jig, and i'v only had it sence friday.

Just my 2 cents

Steve

Comment

Hello all, just wanted to give you an update. Well, I went out and bought a Bosch jigsaw with extra blades suited for softwood. After several attempts, I still had a problem with splintering. However, the problem was not as bad as it was with my Craftsman. So, HD allowed me to exchange the jigsaw for 10' Ryobi band saw. Well, I got to tell you -- that thing has worked out just fine. I no longer have a problem with splintering and the blade (the one included) cuts through the wood like butter. I can see that I will be using that saw for a lot of projects!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Pete

[ 12-17-2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: die_kruzen ]

Comment

Is that the new saw where they've atatched a fan impeller to the lower wheel to create DC ???

Curious to hear how well that works.

HDAN

Comment

ChefHDan,

Yes, I believe it is the one you detailed in your message. So far, the dust catcher seems to work well. Here is a link:
                          Home Depot

For my needs (right now cutting 1 1/2" cedar) it has worked fantastic. The 9" looked good, but the 10" appears a lot "beefier". I got it for $199 which was only about $30 more than the Bosch jigsaw.

Pete

Pete

Comment

Cool,
                            I'm famillar with the unit, workbench just reviewed it in the new issue, hope you kept the better blades for the jig saw, there's always still times when it's easier to bring the tool to the work!

Enjoy the dust, just don't EAT it!
                            HDAN

Comment

Working...
                            X