What Finish For Bocote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Finish For Bocote

Mr wife likes to make scroll saw boxes. We just picked up a very nice piece of Bocote that she intends to turn into a few of these boxes. Neither one of us has ever worked with this wood before so we are looking for some ideas on what type of finish to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated. TIA.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Re: What Finish For Bocote

Dave,

I've never used Bocote but I have used Cocobolo, which I think is similar in terms of oiliness. Lacquer has worked well. I wipe the wood with the traditional naptha, then a vigorous wipedown with lacquer thinner, then tack rag,then spray the finish.

Tung oil would be a good choice, too.

Good luck, let us know what you finally choose and how it works. Bocote is pretty stuff.

-Andy

Comment

Re: What Finish For Bocote

Thanks Andy,

Your suggestion of a Lacquer finish sounds like a good one and we'll definitely add that one to the list.

I've done a little more research since I first posted this and found some other suggested ways to treat this wood. One was to not use anything at all and just buff out the wood while another said that MinWax Antique Finish also looks nice.

The piece of Bocote that we bought is big enough for her to make a few of her scroll saw boxes so she'll probably try more than one way to finish them off.

Dave
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
      X