X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelchair Ramp Question

I need to build a wheelchair ramp that will only go up one step.
    I wanted to use 3 2x8’s for support, top with ¾ plywood. I need some ideas on cutting the 2x8 at an angle so I can get a consistent cut on three of them and do it safely. I wanted to use my table saw and was thinking of building a sled with a fenced attached at an angle. Any thoughts or ideas??? Thanks Pat.

Re: Wheelchair Ramp Question

Can you just get one of these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-46-052.../dp/B00002X2HN

Set the angle, and use a circular saw to make the cuts. $10, instead of a custom made / purchased sled.

If you're looking for a longer term solution, and a great table saw accessory, or simply something more robust, I'd suggest this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18063

Comment

How about a taper jig.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

For now if you just want to cut the (3) 2 x 8s, how about asking around to see if someone you know near you has a sliding compound miter saw or a good radial arm saw? You can cut the ends easy with either machine. The best part is that you won't need to buy anything but maybe a nice meal for your helping buddy.
        Last edited by Woussko; 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling goof

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain myself well. I need to cut an angle the length of my 2x6 approx 8 foot long so I can taper the ramp from the step to the ground. I think the taper jig would work. Thanks. If any other ideas let me know. Pat

Comment

Anyone know the required maximum drop for a ramp?

Is it 1" for 4', or 6, 8'...?
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PMR413 View Post
              Sorry I didn't explain myself well. I need to cut an angle the length of my 2x6 approx 8 foot long so I can taper the ramp from the step to the ground. I think the taper jig would work. Thanks. If any other ideas let me know. Pat
              Pat, here's another one that is a little less expensive, Harbor Freight #1382
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

I'll look it up for you tomorrow. My ADA book is out in the truck.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

chalk line? and "skil saw"
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    chalk line? and "skil saw"
                    I second this suggestion should work just fine unless you don't have a steady hand and sharp blade. I made a forty foot ramp and used 5/4 instead of plywood. The wheelchair rides smooth and there is better drainage for rain and snow.

Comment

The maximum pitch on a wheel chair ramp is 1:12 or one foot of rise for every 12 feet of run. So, figure one step of approximately 8 inches requires 8 feet of ramp. Add your 3/4" plywood and you can cut the stringers out of 8 foot 2X8's. Start in one upper corner, minus your plywood and taper down to nothing. I use a circular saw for these all the time.

Comment

I used an 12"w x8'l piece of scrap plywood as a sled for my tablesaw. Set your rip fence at 12". Screw the 2x to the sled at the slope you want to cut and have at it. Fyi, if your going from zero to your height, make sure you screw the 2x far enough up from the end so you don't catch the screw with your saw blade. Only downside with this approach is you're limited to 8'. If you need to go longer, I'd go the chalkline/circular saw route. That's works well also.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-19425

Check the link for regulations.
                          Cut the ramp with a circular saw. Use a straight edge for your saw to follow if your woried about accuracy.
                          ADA standards are strict and can be a liability in the end. So proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                          X