X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky belt sound on JP0610 Jointer

When I first start my jointer, the belt squeaks pretty bad for a few seconds. I have adjusted the tension as per the manual and cleaned the belt. I also checked the pulley alignment, and although not perfect, is not too bad. The motor pulley is about 1/8" closer to the front of the machine, than the blade pulley. I can't adjust it any closer.

After running a few minutes the noise goes away. After stopping the machine, the pulleys feel pretty warm (not hot). Is this a sign that the belt is too tight? or too loose, or is it normal?

Any ideas?

Thanks....

PJ,

Normally both pulleys can be moved in or out. They really should be in alignment. The noise you hear is the belt slipping, quite possibly against one side of the pulley since it is not in alignment. Also, a pulley will be warm after a while, but not hot. Check the belt to see if it looks glazed. If it does, then you'll need another belt, regardless of weather or not you cleaned it. Also, if the pulleys look glazed, you'll need to scuff them up some with sandpaper. Otherwise, you'll damage the new belt pretty fast.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Both pulleys moved fairly freely towards the front and back of the machine (when the set screws are loose). I moved them in opposite directions to get them as close as possible to good alignment. But they seem to stop and can't be persuaded to go beyond a certain point. So I couldn't get perfect alignment.

I used a straight edge ruler, resting on the face of the motor pulley and tried to adjust it so the blade pulley was on the same plane. Is this the correct way to do the alignment? Or did I miss something?

Comment

First, let me just say that I'm not looking at the machine right now, but rather going on experience.

Generally, a pulley can go as far as the motor housing. I would check to see if the square key on the motor is what's causing the pulley to stop moving. (the keyway slot on the motor shaft is ground with a gradual curve upward toward the motor. Sometimes when the pulley is slid, the key slides too. As the key slides to the curve, it binds up the pulley making it act as though there is a stop) The key does not need to be perfectly centered below the pulley either to make it effective.

The pulleys do need to be lined up for you to get the most out of your machine. If you still cannot get the pulleys lined up, call Ridgid service. They are very helpful and worth the time it takes to contact them.

Comment

Thanks for staying with this one Mike. This weekend I will try again. It's such a pain to remove the back cover to get better access to the motor and pulleys.

I think you are probably right about the key sticking. What I will do is remove the pulley completely off the shaft and then reposition it.

Comment

Well, this weekend I took the back cover off again and proceeded to align the pulleys just perfect.
            I was able to loosen the motor pulley enough to give the extra 1/8" I needed.
            Turning the motor on, it still squealed very loudly. So I decided to try and run the motor without the belt on. Still squealed very loudly.
            Just got off the phone with Ridgid customer service. A new motor is on the way. Now, that's what I call excellent service.

Comment

a lot of people are not happy with the customer service and/or the product knowledge at their loca; home depot, and i can not say i blame them. Ridgid, however, stands behind their product 110%. when i bought my jointer i had a hell of a time setting it up (i am not mechanically inclined but i can read a manual), and after going step by step 10 or more times, my wood was still chipping. as i was aligning the blades again, i noticed something interesting, what appeared to be a crack horizontally along the blade about half way down. the blade was indeed cracked.

i called ridgid and they were very apologetic and sent out a new set of blades fed x 2nd day air. i thought they would only replace the bad blade but they told me that if you change one you should really change them all as the blade angles need to be as precise as possible. i asked them if they wanted the bad blade and they told me no, dont waste the time.

long story short they stood behind their product 110%, and that is the reason i will continue to buy ridgid!
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

PJ,

Was the squeek a bearing in the motor? Did the replacement motor cure the squeek?

As mine has begun to do the same thing, except mine doesn't go away. Mine is approaching 1 year end of next month, but has seen limited use in what I would call the lifetime of use. My bandsaw has similar, less noisy squeek as well. Wonder if this is an indication of the overseas quality we can expect as both machines I have were made other than the U.S.

[ 05-20-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X