X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400

I am in the market to purchase a new bandsaw.Anybody have any do's and don't on what I should keep my eyes open for.I'm a hobbiest not a professional.

Sorry no one else has taken up this question. I am also looking at a band saw. You need to know what you are going to do with it first of all. If your use depends on the table being very solid, look underneath. Good band saw tables have supports on both sides of the blade. The blade supports are aother area to look at. Are they bushings or bearings? Bearing last longer and need less adjustment over time. Finally, look at the size of the blades the machine will handle. Are they adequate for what you will be doing? If you are planning on doing a lot of resawing, the the wider the blade the better. Horse power on the motor is also important. 3/4 HP is pretty good for most applications, but 1HP is better for heavy use. Hope this helps. I still haven't made up my mind which saw is best.

Comment

I have a Ridgid BS and have been very happy with it. It will handle 1/8" to 3/4" blades, so will do a wide range of jobs. One thing I would like to point out though, no matter what brand BS you decide on. Take the blade that comes with it and through it in the trash. They are inexpensive blades supplied so the mfg can say blade included. Buy a good blade, and aline the saw as per mfg instructions,this will save you a lot of problems. Hope this helps Wayne
      Maker of expensive sawdust

Comment

Working...
      X