Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Finding Protractor

http://www.amazon.com/Miter-Master-P.../dp/B001NM0KZ4
    Last edited by Gizmoman; 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM.

Re: Angle Finding Protractor

I got one better than that,

Try the Starett one.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
      I got one better than that,

Try the Starett one.
      I have the same Starrett Protractor also and it is not accurate enough. They come right out of the factory with the degree settings off. I purchased one and it was 2 degrees off right out off the package. So I sent it back for an exchange and the new one was 1 degree off when I got it. I install alot of crown molding and need more accurracy than the tool Starrett tool. Starrett also has a differrent gereration of the same tool that I have used (CP505A 5 IN 1 Protractor ) that has better accuracy and a chart on the legs for compound angles for cutting crown molding flat on the saw table. It is a great concept but what happens to the end user when the chart wears off the legs or comes off, it is a label with the degree settings just stuck on the tool leg. Now the tool is use less for compound angles so I have to spend another $75.00 for another tool due to the charted label being off (B.S. ) ! The Starrett tool might be ok for your welding needs. All you have to do is get your material cut close and fill the seam with a welding rod. A lot of carpenter's do the same thing but with a caulking gun. What would you do if the crown molding was going to be stained and not painted, fill it with caulk and stain it ? I guess I could tell the customer the added caulk makes it look like ( Rope Molding ) in the corners. It's just a added feature I gave them at no charge. This is the reason the tool needs to be accurate for most of us that take pride in our work.
      I have the Bosch digital protractor also and there to much work especially for $145 to $190. You have to push to many buttons to get the angle settings after every corner. If the tool is dropped it has to be sent back to the factory for re-calibration and hope they don't have it for 90 days. I think we can all say we drop tools, I don't care how careful we are it's the ( Nature Of The Beast )!!!!!
      I have used most every protractor on the market and the Miter Master Plus is by far the best tool for the $$$$$. I don't need to worry about the battery going dead ( there isn't one ). It also has no compound angle degree chart sticker on it that can wear off. All the settings are on the dial. One side of the tool is for 38/52 crown molding ( compound cuts ). Flip it over the opposite side is for 45/45 crown molding (compound cuts ). If I drop the tool the setting will never be off there is no indicator needle on the tool that can lossen. It won't bend out of shape or crack when dropped it's made out of polycarbonate material, like Lexan. The Starrett & Bosch tools can bend there made out of steel or aluminum.
      All I was asking in my original post was ( has anyone used this tool yet ) !
      I was impressed by it after using it for the first time. I was introduced to the tool by accident. I saw a stucco contractor using the tool to install large foam crown molding on the exterior of a commercial building one day. He had to lay the crown flat on the saw and use the compound method due to the saw fence not being tall enough. I prefer to cut crown the compound way only because I use large crown most of the time and have gotten so use to it. We had no choice until compound saws came along. You had to cut the molding upside down.
      Check out the Amazon link below and read the reviews for the other protractors there not good. Oh and check the prices, compared to the Miter Master Plus.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...ctor&x=14&y=13

Comment

Sorry but as I know, Starret is well known for precision and I don't believe that a tool that costs $70.00 will be a "Junk"....

BTW, they have also a digital one for $60.00
        http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19670

I never had to know the angle itself...once I measure and lock the anle, I just transfered it to...whatever.

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum

Regards
        niki

Comment

You need to be better than "close" for welding. I don't like seeing anyone disparage another person's profession....'nuff said.

Comment

My 1st post. I use the True Angle equipment for crown molding. They come in various lenths. Good site for info as well. Rockler also carries their equipment.

http://www.compoundmiter.com/true_angle_tool.html

http://www.rockler.com

This is a great forum. I just purchased the Ridgid TS2410LS for offsite work. Hope it's delivered soon as I've been waiting a week. Got a good deal on it at HD and I had a 10% off coupon.

Comment

I hate to sound cynical but this is starting to smell like SPAM. Even the reviews at Amazon seem a little odd as there are only 2-reviews, both posted by women, both posted within 5-days of each other, both the only reviews either reviewer has ever written and both supiciously over written. To be honest they sound more like ad copy than they do reviews.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I hate to sound cynical but this is starting to smell like SPAM. Even the reviews at Amazon seem a little odd as there are only 2-reviews, both posted by women, both posted within 5-days of each other, both the only reviews either reviewer has ever written and both supiciously over written. To be honest they sound more like ad copy than they do reviews.

Mark
                Your post made me go back and read the review. I think you're on to something, especially when one reviewer says "It is unbreakable (I've tried!)". I'm sure she tried to break it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmoman
                  I own the Starrett tool and it's junk. The degree settings are off. It may get you close for welding. All you need to be is close in the welding buisness. Find the angle weld the seam and grind it off.
                  I think I'll let this turd lay in the yard.

Comment

Well bubba, my Starrett angle of the dangle tool is engraved and matches up dead nuts to my saw. As far as welding being "close" you sir are a "typical carpenter"

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                      Well bubba, my Starrett angle of the dangle tool is engraved and matches up dead nuts to my saw. As far as welding being "close" you sir are a "typical carpenter"
                      The tool in your picture looks just like the one I have. On my tool the degree settings inside of the tool are not engraved. It has a paste on label with the degree settings on it. Maybe they improved the tool after I purchased mine. A friend of mine has the ( Starett Prosite ) a smaller version of the Starrett tool and his has a pasted on label with the settings on it and his tool was accurate. The only problem he had with his was over time the decal on the tool leg either came off or ripped from working in the Florida heat or something in those lines. The label had the indicator arrow on it for the degree settings. He was able to salvage his tool by scratching a mark into the leg for the indicator arrow.
                      I went back in Amazon to read the reviews for Starrett, some like the tool but others had the same problem I had. The tool was off degree wise and there tool had a pasted label on it also. It is possible Starrett changed the manurfacturing process from the time I purchased mine and that is the case with yours. Can you double check to see if your tool is engraved and not a pasted label inside the tool. If it's engraved I need to contact Starrett to see if they will exchange mine. The tool cost me to much $$ to not be accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505A-..._bxgy_hi_img_b
                      Above is my friends smaller tool check it out and read the reveiws.

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505A-..._bxgy_hi_img_b
                      This is the tool I own read the reveiws.

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-CP505...pr_product_top
                      This is the new version of the tool with good reviews and Starrett indicates the degrees are laser engraved. The other 2 versions don't.

Some thing is fishy if your tool is engraved and mine isn't.
                      Please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by niki View Post
                        Sorry but as I know, Starret is well known for precision and I don't believe that a tool that costs $70.00 will be a "Junk"....

BTW, they have also a digital one for $60.00
                        http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19670

I never had to know the angle itself...once I measure and lock the anle, I just transfered it to...whatever.

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum

Regards
                        niki
                        Hi NiKi,
                        I check out the BTW on the link you sent me. I have never seen this tool before. I tried to open the technical spec's to read more on it and couldn't. It said I need to upgrade Adobe I will try later.
                        It looks like in the picture the degree reading is 135 degrees against the saw blade. Will the tool do a conversion for cutting crown molding laying flat on the miter saw table for compound angle cuts or do they send a conversion chart with the tool ?

Thanks

Comment

I too had the Starrett and it was absolute garbage. The scale was off by 2deg. It went into the trash where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                            I too had the Starrett and it was absolute garbage. The scale was off by 2deg. It went into the trash where it belongs.
                            I wouldn't say the tool is garbage. Starrett didn't think the maurfacturing process out quality wise. They are very soild as far as the main body of the tools. It made no sense to print the degree settings on a paste on label. Are the tools assembled in the U.S.A or over seas ?
                            Starrett is well known for there quality tools micrometers, calipers, and so on. They really blew it on there first two versions of the angle protractor. There 3rd geneation protractor indicates the degree settings are engraved, I wasn't taking a chance after the other 2 versions. Anyone tried the new version yet ? It looks like the degree dial is engraved in the link below and the compound crown conversion chart is a paste on label that can wear or come off.
                            http://www.starrett.com/pages/1308_c...protractor.cfm

At this point I will stick with the Miter Master Plus for the price difference.

Comment

There is also a digital model made by Denali. I've had mine about a year now. Works great. It also has a laser included for shooting lines from the angles or flats.
                              Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                              I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                              My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X