X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopsmith motor has failed

My 1981 knockoff Shopsmith motor has not been starting evertime unless I helped it. I have used the air hose and blew it out. All it does is hummmm and the blows the breaker.
    My question is 3 fold -
    1- what else can I do?
    2- should I have it repaired?
    3 - buy another motor
    Terry

Re: Shopsmith motor has failed

i would just get it repaired,, even older motors can be repaired and it would cheeper and easier, older motors would be hard to find,, some manufactures, dont keep parts for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by kharris221982 View Post
      i would just get it repaired,, even older motors can be repaired and it would cheeper and easier, older motors would be hard to find,, some manufactures, dont keep parts for that long.
      I just happened to notice a ShopSmith power unit (the motor assembly minus the stand,etc. the other day when rummaging through a local surplus store. I had no interest so didn't look to see what condition it was in or price. I may be going back there in a week or two if you are interested I will take a look at it for you and forward their contact info so you can deal directly with them. In fact if you want it now let me know and I will get you their phone number.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob, I will take it in for a check on getting it repaired, but if you are going back to surplus store check it out a little better. What part of the country is it.
        Terry

Comment

I know nothing about that motor but I wonder if it couldn't be something as simple as a bad start capacitor.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by clipperbet View Post
            Thanks Bob, I will take it in for a check on getting it repaired, but if you are going back to surplus store check it out a little better. What part of the country is it.
            Terry
            NJ, not far from Philly, home of the *&^%^$# STUPID (cleaned it up a bit here) Eagles who can't do anything right when it counts.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Is the machine a shopsmith? You said your knockoff shopsmith motor.Reguardless of brand if shopsmith stuff works on it I can probably help you out.I have a shopsmith hanging around I dont use I'll dig it out make sure it still works and check back on this this thread monday after work.I'm in Indiana

Comment

I've had my SS for over 27 years. During that time the motor has "failed" several times.
                I have never replaced a motor or capacitor.
                What I found was dust impacted in the contacts of the centrifugal switch that kicks out the start coil.
                Disassemble the motor, clean and polish the switch contacts and put 'er back together. It'll very likely run.

d

Comment

Good advice Don.

I would try that first.
                  http://www.picturetrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

Working...
                  X