X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable or Contractor Table Saw?

I'm new to this and greatly appreciate any advice. I am planning to purchase a new table saw soon to accomplish the following:
    (1) Ripping stock for baseboards, door and window casings, crown moldings to width.
    (2) Ripping and crosscutting oak, birch, and maple plywoods for building stand alone and build in shelving and cabinetry projects.

I have a place for storage, but the saw will have to be pulled out for use, because of storage issues. Because the saw will have to be pulled out, I was going to go with a table saw, such as the Ridgid TS2400LS for portability, but can I achieve accuracy and top build qaulity with the TS2400 for these types of uses? Things I am looking for in a table saw are accuracy, plenty of power, stability, and reliability.

After looking at the Dewalt portable with stand, Craftsman portable with stand, Delta 36-650, Ridgid TS3650, and the Ridgid TS2400, I am impressed with Ridgid qaulity, but have heard many issues on this forums relating to hard to obtain parts?

Any advice wheather or not to go with a portable such as the TS2400 or a contractor saw? Again, all help is appreciated.

[ 06-27-2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: rover1 ]

Portability is about the only advantage a jobsite saw will have over a decent contractor saw. The extra table size (especially at the front edge before the blade), more powerful/quieter/and reliable induction motor, mass, and cast iron trunnions of a good contractor saw add up to what is IMO a better wwing saw for the long run. It should also have better resale value. Lots of things can be cut and cut well with a jobsite saw, but if there's anyway to fit in the extra couple of square feet the CS takes up, that's what I'd recommend.

Comment

I started w/ a Makita portable TS, and quickly sold that on eBay and bought myself a TS3620.
      Don't make the same mistakes I had made. You will hit the limitations of a portable TS quickly. The killer for me was when I had to rip a board wider than 16".

Hope that helps.
      - J

Comment

I think we could help you more if you told us the Manditory Maximum amount of floor space this saw has to occupy when in storage.

However, to best meet your other needs, you have to go with a contractor saw. You can make a jobsite or benchtop saw cut accurately but that is only after making modifcations that are so extensive (building a saw station with good fence rails and good fence) that it will take equal or greater space than a contractor saw.

One thing to remember, you can store other things on top of your saw when it's not in use. They are TABLE saws after all

Comment

welcome rover1

I feel if you will use the saw a lot you will find any of the defects in the first 30 days. If you aren't satisfied in that time frame then take it back and go on to a different one. I leaned toward the dewalt and got the contractor saw with a 52 inch fence and have had it for a year and a half. I am extremely happy with the saw. I got all the attachments with it including the lift system which is great. It was about $1150.00 If you are limited on room and budget then I would consider the the ridgid 3650 contractor saw. with the cabinet work and trim work you want to do you wouldn't be happy with anything less.

that's my humble opinion, good luck.

Happy woodworking guys

Comment

A worksite saw is much nicer to move, but a contractor saw is much nicer to use....just put it on wheels.

Comment

Working...
            X