typing a degree symbol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• typing a degree symbol

I while back, one of you posted a message about how to type a degree symbol in Microsoft Word. It was a combination of several keys. Anyone know how to do this?

Are you on a Mac or PC?

Michael

Comment

Press and hold the ALT key and type 248

Alt + 155 = ¢
      Alt + 171 = ½
      alt + 172 = ¼

These are the common ones. There is a website that I don't have the address in front of me about the ascii symbols and a whole list of Alt +'s that can be used.

gator

Comment

You'll find codes for vulgar fractions, pilcrow signs, thorns, tildes, even the degree symbol at MS Word Alt Key Characters
        Tony<br /><a href=\"http://www.mindling.com/passages\" target=\"_blank\">www.mindling.com/passages</a>

Comment

I think I am using MS Word 6 or 7 and you hit insert menu, then symbol and a chart of them drop down and can be inserted

Comment

You can find the ALT+number sequence for any character in any font on your computer by going to the START menu, then PROGRAMS,ACCESSORIES,SYSTEM TOOLS then CHARACTER MAP. Double click on any character and you will see the sequence in the lower right corner of the screen.

Dick

Comment

º = Alt+0186 on the number keypad.

Comment

Actually the degree symbol is alt + 0176. 0186 is a masculine ordinal indicator. Not a big deal and a common mistake. They look almost identical so either one could be used, but look at the two examples below and you can see the difference.

alt + 0186 = º (masculine ordinal indicator)

alt + 0176 = ° (degree symbol)

Comment

You must be into mathmatics or a computer geek ....

Comment

The good news, Jake, is that it wasn't a feminine ordinal indicator...

Dave
                    Computer geek with -no- idea what a masculine ordinal indicator is

Comment

I am a computer geek. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Ordinals are an Italian language thing.

As in English, ordinal numbers normally precede the noun. Abbreviations are written with a small ° (masculine) or ª (feminine).
                      il 5° piano the fifth floor;
                      la 3ª pagina the third page.

Comment

Son of a gun. Thanks, Tim.

Dave
                        Computer geek who -was- worried about not learning something new today.

Comment

Glad to know I'm not the only computer geek who has an interest other than bits and bytes. I know some geeks who seem to never get away from all things electronic. I love woodworking, it is a great new hobby and a good get-away from all the PC stuff that earns a living
                          Alan
                          My Shop

Comment

So it had nothing to do with mathmatics or computers hmmm.....

Comment

I work as a network engineer and I have to look at computers about 12-16 hours a day. . I am relatively new to woodworking, but I still find it to be much more rewarding. When I finish a project, it's finished. All that's left is to do is use and admire the piece. I don't have to install maintainence patches, or tweak a setting, or install new drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X