Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Happened To My Table Saw Sled?

Originally posted by darius View Post
    So would there be general agreement that MDF would be a better choice for a crosscut sled?
    I usually think ply is better for everything as far as stability, but I think MDF is likely to be smoother without the need for wax etc. It is cheaper, but it doesn't take a screw as well, which I think does matter, because it is nice to be able to screw things onto your sled so that you can hold down "interestingly" shaped workpieces safely.

Comment

I made my first sled from MDF. I couldn't get the runners to attach well, unless I used superglue. No screws I have would properly hold into the MDF. It's stable enough, but you still have to store it flat or hang it (the runners can get warped otherwise). I think ply is much better suited for this task than MDF.

I do use a lot of MDF in the shop for things like temp fences for the drill press and band saw, as well as router guides. MDF works great as a router guide since you can easily shape it any way you want using standard tools.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I knocked out another sled this AM. I was able to reuse the runner and fence from the other sled and I had a piece of scrap ½" MDF laying around so I used that. I found a spot in the furnace room(basement shop) where I can hang this one on the wall.

I know I'll probably regret this and have to make another one but this time I made the sled so that I can use it on the RH side of the blade. I know that this will be a problem if I use a blade with a different kerf but as that is seldom the case it shouldn't come into play very often if at all.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Hey BD,

I think I'd stick with ply, but perhaps a better grade than from HD. Then, I think I'd give it a good coating or two of poly to seal it. I'd also go with the previous suggestion to drill a couple of holes in it so that it could be hung during storage.

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X