X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened To My Table Saw Sled?

Awhile back I made a very basic table saw crosscut sled out of ¾" ply and I used oak for the runner. It worked just as it was supposed to for months without any issues. Today, I went to use it and it no longer sits flat on my saws top. The wobble is very noticeable and I feel uncomfortable using it.

I'm looking for some ideas on what not to do when I make another. Should I have used a different material instead of ply? I can't remember for sure but I think I made this based on a design from WOOD Magazine or Shop Notes and it called for using ply.

I'm also wondering if possibly I didn't store it correctly when it wasn't being used. For those of you who use a sled, how do you store yours during downtime?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: What Happened To My Table Saw Sled?

I made one after first reading about them and after a while, I decided it worked best in my wood burning stove.

Comment

Is the wobble in the ply, or is it somehow in the runner?

Comment

If you lay the sled on the saw with the blade all the way down and the runners up does it still wobble? This will tell you if it's a problem with the runners alone. The oak may have swollen/shrank unevenly. This could cause the ply to warp. Try taking the runners off and see if the ply is warped.

To alleviate the problem in the future, you can purchase aluminum rails from Woodcraft or Rockler. Using those runners, you shouldn't have any more warp problems. Remember to store the crosscut sled flat.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

As Sandy suggested, I removed the runner and it appears the ply is where the issue is. I'm also leaning towards the way I stored the sled as the cause. As is the case with many of us, I just don't have a lot of storage area so I was storing it standing up on end and not laying flat. Being fairly small I really didn't think storage would be an issue but live and learn I guess. If I make another one I'll have to figure out a way I can store where it would be laying flat.

Maybe PK can use the warped one for making a little heat.

Comment

I've got the same shop-space situation as Badger Dave, and am planning on making a sled out of ply over the weekend (just cut the runner last night out of maple).

So, what about hanging the sled from one end of the ply, do you think this would cause it to warp also?

Thanks!

Comment

what about making the sled base out of MDF? flat, stable, reliable. use hardwood for runner and rear/front fence.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                what about making the sled base out of MDF? flat, stable, reliable. use hardwood for runner and rear/front fence.
                That's what i did and it has stayed perfectly flat........1/2 inch MDF for the sled and oak slats for the runners

Comment

Originally posted by Tom5151 View Post
                  That's what i did and it has stayed perfectly flat........1/2 inch MDF for the sled and oak slats for the runners
                  I also used 1/2 inch MDF and I store it leaning against a wall. Still flat. I used a strip of 3/4" ply for the runner.

I think that 1/2" is better than 3/4" just because it doesn't raise the table height so much.

Comment

"Maybe PK can use the warped one for making a little heat. "

BD, I could use it for smoking Walleye if it is clean wood.

Comment

Try MDF and put a hang hole in it . Gravity will keep it flat then
                      instead of warping it as it did when leaning up against something.

cpw wrote: "I think that 1/2" is better than 3/4" just because it doesn't raise the table height so much."

I agree with the 1/2". It's also not much trouble to make the opposite half to compliment your sled.
                      I made my sled for use on the right side of the blade. And I made a piece that has a runner on it to
                      keep it positioned to the left side, and a piece 24"w x 48"d(front to back) that slides up along the
                      edge of the left wing. There I use a c-clamp to secure it from moving. The sled (36"w x 24"d) then
                      travels on the right side of the blade. Any offcuts do not fall as they are supported by the other half
                      on the left.

Next time I use it I will try to remember to take a photo.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        BD, I could use it for smoking Walleye if it is clean wood.
                        Now that's hitting below the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          As Sandy suggested, I removed the runner and it appears the ply is where the issue is. I'm also leaning towards the way I stored the sled as the cause. As is the case with many of us, I just don't have a lot of storage area so I was storing it standing up on end and not laying flat. Being fairly small I really didn't think storage would be an issue but live and learn I guess. If I make another one I'll have to figure out a way I can store where it would be laying flat.

Maybe PK can use the warped one for making a little heat.
                          If you built it from ply bought at HD that is your problem. That Ply comes from China and is about as stable as jello. It warps, shrinks, delams, cracks, and has been found to have metal imbedded in it on occasion.
                          I wouldn't burn it because none of us know the glue formula remember these are the people that cut their baby formula with wacked chemicals to get more profit.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

...I wouldn't burn it... [plywood]
                            I never burn plywood no matter what the source. Too much glue.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So would there be general agreement that MDF would be a better choice for a crosscut sled?
                              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                              X