Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes

Changes are afoot.

Time willing, I will be removing the statements from business cards and my site depicting "Proud" owner and user of Ridgid Machinery, until such time all this confussion has been cleared up. By Bob, or time itself.

I further say I have said enough, positive, negitive, and coaxing a response about the issue.

If I can offer help with woodworking, I shall.

The Ridgid Issue...I put to rest.

I have better things to do. What will be, will be. Gold and Black will rest where Gray and Orange is now.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Until we know, see and feel what really will happen, doom & gloom is inappropriate. On the other hand, until I know where the warranty issue stands for current tools, I'm unlikely to purchase Ridgid. A few succunct statements might answer all our questions.

Until then we wait.

Comment

Gold and Black, Black and Decker?

Comment

I'm with you on this one John. Well, except for the colors, I can't aford the gold, so I'll be going with Delta Gray/Blue, I heard that they are changing back to blue again, and maybe some white.
        Bill

Comment

I backed away from Ridgid and bought a Jet Cabinet Saw (lots of bucks) but since I've got it going and been makin' sawdust, I really wonder how I ever got along with the old Crapsman I was using. I'm now in the market for a jointer and it will be either a Delta or a Jet. Color doesn't bother me and I look forward to reading the comments you fellas make about the products out there. I'm new to ww to a point (making good stuff rather than just banging somethin' together)and have been putting a shop together for the last year. LOML's car sits outside now! r

Comment

Creature,

Gold and Black is Powermatic. Some of the finest polished machines you'll ever lay your eyes on. It's tables look almost to be chromed. They have a reputation for precission, and price.

Since my shop contains just about one of everything Ridgid makes, anything else I need will have to be another brand. When it wares out, it will be replaced by another brand.

Although PowerMatic does not make all the machines I see to purchase in the future, (you all must know by now I hate Green)I would consider Jet as an alternative, definetly Delta as well. One green machine I would purchase, is the General Heavy Duty Mortiser, and will...someday. A scotch brite pad and couple cans of spray paint is cheap enough I guess.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I've been down the Delta road...nine miles of...well you can read the line on that one. I will go white or gold from now on depending on what tool I am buying. I am seriously considering selling my Ridgid tools before any problems arise.
              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Ya know, I see everyone jumping ship, considering just what ridgid is doing that understandable, but the rest of them don't have a lifetime warranty either. From a corporate standpoint, a lifetime warranty is insane. It was a marketing tool HD didn't know how to use, and most people willing to pay for it didn't find out about it. Ultimatly ridgid is responsible for where it is today, a three year warranty brings ridgid in line with the rest of the industry, maybe now they will do the same with pricing, needing to cover stuff in the long term is expensive, and we all know there are plenty of people who take advantage of such warranties.

Just my 2 cents, as for this forum, it is as with all things, the sum of its parts. Since Jake left, it has no one to take care of things. Thats no way to represent a company, to say you can't answer is one thing, but to walk from a job is another. Ridgid can't seem to represent itself, I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a delta tp, they are almost 1/2 the price with the same warranty. But the ridgid lathe is still a steal in my books, wait and see, I'm space limited so I may not be able to get that.

Comment

Creature,
                  I think that it is a combination of things that, combined, are turning people off. We are not getting any information from the company, we are getting rumors that Ryobi will be taking over, people are getting poor customer service.
                  Bottom line is that Ridgid is not representing itself at all, either through their employees (Read that Bob Dueker(sp?)) or through press releases and we are all worried about on-going support for those tools that we have purchased. Yes, they have to honor the lifetime warranty on those tools that have already been purchased, but they can make it difficult to receive that service, ie bring the whole machine to a service center located somewhere in a state near you, or ship it to their sole service center with you paying all freight, or demand that we bring them in with proof of purchase.
                  Ridgid needs to stand up and say something like, "Those of you who have supported this company in the past will continue to receive the support you deserve, and this is how it will be accomplished." My two cents.
                  Bill

Comment

The Lifetime warranty doen't mean a whole lot to me as such, but parts and service does! I just went through all of this with my old Craftsman TS, to old , out of production, parts are not available! I have never questioned Ridgids quality because I have several Ridgid products and am very happy with them. I shopped and finally went with a Jet (Delta considered) because I thuoght they would be around if I need parts or service - This I think is what everyone is worried about. Ridgid make good equipment, but the best is junk if you can't get parts. Just my thoughts (from a newby). Rick

Comment

Emerson/Ridgid has stabbed us in the back, and now that we are lying on the ground, they are kicking us in the groin by not responding to us here on this forum.

Comment

By now you have all read the statement made by Bob...you know the one addressed to everyone in the "chat room". Someone finally speaks and we get more of the same stuff we read in the press release...color me unimpressed and still wary.
                        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I'm Marketing Scum(TM), so I started thinking about this.

Let’s say that the average HD stocks (at their net) $5000 worth of Ridgid woodworking power tool inventory. Could be way off (guesstimated average), but seems kinda right, depending on what qualifies as “woodworking”. Of the four HDs around me, it seems about right. Remember it includes any boxes in inventory as well as floor models, San Diego and Atlanta as well as BFE.

1200 stores x $5000 = 6 million.

Let’s further assume that if they are making an average 20% (after all costs of goods sold), this represents $7,000,000 in sales, and thus maybe a mil in profit to the bottom line. Way off? You tell me and plug in your own numbers.

HD is a 60B company, so this is not a lot of money at risk. The Oklahoma garden centers probably turn this much on a Saturday morning. But a million here and a million there… the Tool Guy at HD has his quarterly evaluation based on profitability, and you bet it matters to him. Or Her, whatever.

The issue of HD credibility with the big-ticket tool-buying public needn’t be discussed, here… we’ll all get over it and run up there tomorrow for drill bits or drywall or whatever.

Emerson is a smart, well-run 14B company. This is still not a lot of money, but they have a little more at stake in this arena. They have planned an exit strategy from a market segment and they will make money on it.

Emerson/Ridge/Ridgid/Ryobi/NamelessBlob are not going to want to devalue that much distributor inventory on HD’s shelf by making depressing announcements now (Hey Orange, how much for the discontinued saw thingie?) because HD has already paid, or financed some kinda floor planning, for this stuff. It’s part of their forecast.

You can’t just tell the public that your distributor’s 7M worth of product is suddenly on sale for 4M. They (HD) get angry, and they have beaucoup recourse, like a) downplaying your other branded products (plumbing, HVAC, etc,), and b) suing your *** off or sticking you with the mother of all returns (how many forklifts does it take to offload 24,000 large cast-metal power tools, and how do you get ‘em all on Ebay?).

So, you tough it out with windy announcements, allusions to Commitments, Heritage, Reputation, and try to keep the Value Of That Distributor Inventory and any unshipped product you happen to have in stock UP. You peddle the NAME to an (ahem) “lesser-reputationed” supplier(s), as well as the distribution channel (HD shelf space), because THAT’S WHAT YOU’RE REALLY SELLING: a name and a lucrative brick-and-mortar distribution channel, that ChiCom Inc. couldn’t build up in a couple of decades.

ChiCom Inc. may actually be a pretty good supplier... they may even be the current supplier (of critical parts for TS 3612, fr'instance)... but on their own, could never do these numbers.

AND: This doesn’t address the tasty aftermarket/replacement parts biz. You don’t sell jillions of parts, but those you do are at vastly greater markups. It is a MUCH more profitable business than whole goods (blades:razors). With an exclusive arrangement, Mr. Parts Supplier should be making more along the lines of 70+%. You don’t need to sell a lot of miter knobs at those margins to have a yacht in Singapore and send your kids to private schools.

Or at least that's one scenario. Let me know if you'd like a Powerpoint whipped up on this, with animated charts.

SO: Is the miter slot really necessary, and if you could only have one router for general cabinetry/home use, what would you get?

Comment

Working...
                          X